cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using dial-up whilst waiting for my BB activiation

N/A

Can somebody help me with this.

My PC is connected to my router via a wireless adapter and as my account hasn't been activiated when I open my brower I get the dial-up menu popping up. But when I enter my details I get the "no dial tone detected" back.

Is there something I'm not doing correctly? Should I have a direct connection from my PC to the phone socket on the wall (i.e. bypass my router)?

Thanks in advance
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You cannot use a dialup connection via your router.

I assume you have a dialup modem in your PC. If so, disable your wireless connection and connect your modem cable to a phone socket via an ADSL filter. You should then be able to connect via PlusNet (or any dialup ISP) until your broadband connection is active. When it is, set your browser to never dial a connection and enable your wireless connection again.
N/A

Many thanks Peter for the prompt reply. I will try this when I get home (I hope the cable is long enough to reach the socket!)
N/A

How would I disable my broadband connection, do I just unplug it or is it done in windows
N/A

?"disable my broadband connection"

David
Your question, how to; "disable my broadband connection"?

Use "Windows Explorer" or the "Start menu" to go to 'Control Panel' then 'Network Connections folder'. In there are the various individual connection's 'Dial-Up' 'Broadband' etc.

Right click on the one you wish to deactivate and select disable.