cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Broadband without unplugging

N/A

Hello

I have the Plusnet BT Voiager 105 USB modem which works fine with Broadband Plus. I want to be able to use the BB connection on my kids Windows 98SE machine without having to unplug the modem all the time. I have been given a Dell Truemobile 2300 router but it wants an ethernet input and the Voyager doesn't have an ethernet output.

What do I need to buy to be able to use broadband on both machines without having to unplug? Thanks for any assistance.
5 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

A combined ADSL modem / router would be the best option.

Somthing like this product from Netgear would be ideal.

On that site, from the home page you will also see a home network configurator. You can use that utility to explore other options which are available.

If you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask.
Community Veteran

What you need is an Ethernet modem, but they are very rare (not many manufactures have one) and so they they tend to be very expensive - in the region of £40 -> £50. They also have a habit of having compatibility problems with other manufacturers routers so there is no guarantee if you did find an Ethernet modem that it would work reliably with your router.

Often you can get a combined modem/router/4 port switch for less than or just a little more than the cost of the Ethernet modem. The netgear DG834 for instance is about £60.

While it seems a shame not to use the router you have been given, it is basically impracticle to do so and should work out better buying a combined modem/router.
LiamM
Grafter

Methinks this will be your best bet.
N/A

If you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask.

Thanks very much to all for your suggestions - a further question (you did say I could ask!)

I'm probably getting out of my depth here... I don't need to go wireless at the moment but in the future may need to. Would I be able to use the wireless capability of the Dell Truemobile 2300 by linking it in some way to the Netgear DG834, or should I go for the Netgear DG834GT (wired and wireless) or am I thinking too far ahead - it'll all be out of date by then! Or am I making things too complex - I don't know that much about it, as you can tell!

Thanks for any assistance.
Community Veteran

Yes it should work as it's a wireless access point and router. You just connect it's WAN port to one of the ports on the (netgear) router you will have.

There may be some complications in having 2 routers connected together as you may need to set a static IP in the dell unit so you can connect to it via your PC to set it up but you can worry about it when you need to use it.

It would however be much easier to setup & use a fully combined ADSL wirless router like the DG834G (not the GT model which just has a higher wireless speed which you won't use).