cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet on Broadband Plus

N/A

Usenet on Broadband Plus

Hi,

I've read about the recent changes in the restrictions/etc to usenet access, and was wondering how things currently stand with BB Plus?

Specifically, I read Force9's reply to someone else's post (elsewhere in the forum), in which they said:

"""
We can't let any one particular type of traffic run unchecked on our network as it would easily swap all the available capacity. We originally managed this by giving usenet a low priority across our network but this wasn't really fair on light usenet users as their speeds were slowed down regardless of how much they used.

We then reconsidered this, and decided that it would be fairer to allow people to get a certain amount of usenet traffic each month at full speed and then let them use the service but at a reduced rate. This way lighter users can get all their usenet downloads as fast as they like. 15GB was chosen as this level because very few of our usenet users ever use more than that in a month.
"""

However, in context it wasn't clear whether this referred only to Premier, or to all their services (including BB Plus). Could someone clarify for me, please? Does this mean that there's now no speed restriction unless you go above 15GB?

Many thanks!
2 REPLIES
N/A

Usenet on Broadband Plus

Hello guest,

Please bear with me, I have opened a support ticket to get clarification for you on these questions. I dont use this service myself hence need to refer to others, will get back to you as soon as I get a reply.

I found the following posting from Stewart Norris F9 staff and thought it might be relevant to your questions? See below:-
=============================================================
We are implementing some improvements to our Usenet service from today (Tuesday 1st November) which will improve the experience for customers using our Usenet servers. In parallel we are implementing some changes to the way we prioritise Usenet traffic in general, which should mean an improvement in speed and reliability for the majority of customers over the next few weeks.

Usenet network traffic is currently classed as ‘bronze’ for most of our customers and runs at a low priority across our network. This combined with heavy usage has caused some customers to receive a slow service at peak times.

From 1st November Usenet traffic from our servers and from external providers (e.g. Easynews and GigaNews) will be prioritised into our ‘silver’ profile which should provide a faster service for the majority of customers. In order for this to be sustainable as traffic profiles grow, this prioritisation will apply to the first 15GB that customers use per calendar month.

After customers have used more than 15GB on Usenet, the traffic priority will move to a lower level until the end of that month where the level will be reset again. There is no cap or overall limit on the traffic to our Usenet servers, or on the protocol itself. 99% of customers used less then 15GB of Usenet last month.

In addition to the introduction of 15GB of prioritised traffic we are reducing the maximum number of threads on our Usenet service to be 4 per customer. This should have no significant impact on your experience but will reduce the utilisation on our platform which will protect the service so that it is more reliable for everyone.
=============================================================
Ivan
N/A

Usenet on Broadband Plus

Hi again,

OK Here's the reply from F9 support this morning:-

The 15GB newsgroup threshold applies to all accounts residental or business. Once the 15GB threshold is exceeded the the speed drops to a maxmimum of 256kbps

Regards