cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning off the catchall email - help needed.

rammie1976
Grafter

After reading the recently posted spam help faq I decided to turn off the username@username.plus.com catchall email address, however this morning some more spam was downloaded fron that address.

Help please, as I don't want to use or d/l username@username.plus.com email.
20 REPLIES
lingbob
Grafter

If you've still got them, have a look at the "Envelope-to" header.
Were they addressed to postmaster@username.plus.com
rammie1976
Grafter

No its 'username' not 'postmaster' - but 'postmaster' is still working as yesterday I got the we've sorry we don't know how to run an email system securely email.
rammie1976
Grafter

Where/what's the 'envelope-to' header?
N/A

The Envelope-To header is an e-mail header. If you view an email in it's raw form it has a series of bits of information at the top which are usually hidden in most email clients. Most email clients allow you to see these by choosing to view long headers or view the original email source.

In this way instead of seeing a simple From, To, Subject in your client you will something far more confusing but informative such as:

Envelope-to: username@domain.plus.com
Delivery-date: Fri, 18 May 2007 00:35:25 +0000
Received: from fw-merkator.absolutok.com ([X.X.X.X])
by pih-sunmxcore12.plus.net with smtp (PlusNet MXCore v2.00)
Message-ID: <1234567890@ADMIN>
To: username@domain.plus.com
Subject: Adobe Photoshop Extended download
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 02:49:02 +0200
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/related;
type="multipart/alternative";
boundary="----=_NextPart_000_000F_01C798F7.17AE6E40"
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2462.1158
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2462.2962
X-PN-VirusFiltered: by PlusNet MXCore (v2.00)

There is lots of useful info in headers about who an email is from, who it was addressed to, how it's been handled etc. Some mail transports include this Envelope To: field which shows the original intended recipient of the email before any redirects or other mangling.

Turning off catch-all will not stop spam being sent to username@username.plus.com if that address has been harvested and if you are still checking that email address. What it will do is stop mail addressed to <insert anything here>@username.plus.com being sent to a default address. This means it will aid in reducing the normal type of spam where spammers guess the first par of an e-mail address. That isn't what the recent problem is though, as actual valid email addresses have been harvested and are being used.

Hope this helps.
rammie1976
Grafter

Thanks for the envelope-to info.

I think I see what you mean about the catchall, so is there any way to not collect username@username.plus.com? Can I blackhole it (whatever that is!). Smiley
lingbob
Grafter

Turning off "catch-all" won't stop spam to postmaster@username.plus.com either because PN automatically activate a postmaster alias which points to username@username.plus.com and the alias cannot be deleted.

What the OP needs to do is to create a new mailbox and use that instead of the default one.
N/A

I believe you can blackhole it, but I think you need to raise a ticket to do so. This would mean that any email addressed to username@username.plus.com would be immediately deleted. It would never reach a mailbox, real or virtual.

But you may not need to do this. If you have other addresses/mailboxes, just use those and stop logging into and checking the username@username address/mailbox. And remove any redirects you may have that may be sending mail addressed to username@username to your other addresses.
N/A

Turning off "catch-all" won't stop spam to postmaster@username.plus.com either because PN automatically activate a postmaster alias which points to username@username.plus.com and the alias cannot be deleted.

Yes, but the postmaster address probably wouldn't have been acquired during the recent leaks. It's not an address people use to login to webmail or people manually send email to. It is a default address than spammers tend to use though when randomly guessing addresses though.

Very useful info, I'm just trying to not get two different spam issues too confused here Smiley
rammie1976
Grafter

....But you may not need to do this. If you have other addresses/mailboxes, just use those and stop logging into and checking the username@username address/mailbox....

I've never used username@... I didn't realise such a thing existed until all this +net spam malarkey! I'm not checking username@ but I have been checking postmaster@username.plus.com, would that be the same?

I'm slightly dizzy & confused now! :shock: I was just trying to minimize the spam I download. I prefer to check my own spam and delete it, don't trust software to get it right. :roll: So I knew I could happily igore username@ as I'd never used it for anything.
N/A

postmaster@ is forwarded to username@.

Unless you use postmaster@ for personal e-mail, I'd just stop checking it. It's an easily guessed address by spammers and if you've been actively using it for e-mail it may well have been harvested.

Unfortunately there is now a clause in the T&C's that says you must check this address as PlusNet will use it for official communications. But IMHO this is safe to ignore as they don't have a leg to stand on if they did try to hold anyone to this.

I don't know what's happened to my postmaster account, it doesn't show up as aliased anywhere to anything, sending email to it seems to vanish and I can't login to it. Maybe I destroyed it years ago as a precautionary measure. Then again mail I send to username@ also appears to be going AWOL, but I can login to that account (even though I've also never used it) and it does show up as a valid mailbox, so who knows what's going on.
lingbob
Grafter

I'm slightly dizzy & confused now! :shock: I was just trying to minimize the spam I download. I prefer to check my own spam and delete it, don't trust software to get it right. :roll: So I knew I could happily igore username@ as I'd never used it for anything.

I can quite understand your confusion and what you need to do is to create a new mailbox and use that instead of your postmaster mailbox. You can create a new mailbox from the Member Centre -> Email Settings -> Manage My Mail. Using "john" as an example mailbox name, your mailbox login name would be username+john and your email address would be john@username.plus.com

Hope this helps to clear some of the confusion Smiley
rammie1976
Grafter

Thanks bitzbox it doesn't help me, I've not managed to describe my difficulty/confusion. Sad I've already got other mailboxes ie john@myusername.plus.com or jane@myusername.plus.com

What I can't understand is how I stop d/ling username@ email, is it being d/led when I check postmaster@ email box? :?
rammie1976
Grafter

.....so who knows what's going on.

Indeed! :roll: :twisted:

Thanks you guys, I think I'll just put up with it for now as at least its eased off. My brain hurts! Evil :lol:
lingbob
Grafter

Thanks bitzbox it doesn't help me, I've not managed to describe my difficulty/confusion. Sad I've already got other mailboxes ie john@myusername.plus.com or jane@myusername.plus.com

What I can't understand is how I stop d/ling username@ email, is it being d/led when I check postmaster@ email box? :?

Yes, that's exactly what's happening because postmaster is an alias which points to username@username.plus.com, so all you need to do is to stop checking your postmaster account for mail.