cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time Out Disconnections?

nibor9

Time Out Disconnections?

I was considering switching to Broadband but am concerned about the new "time-out" disconnection policy. I'll have to use a wi-fi router due to the location of the PC's & iMac.
Will the router automatically reconnect when required (i.e. a netgear DG834G) or will it have to be done manually, which means running up & down the stairs A LOT!!
I was going to switch from BT but aint so sure now, can anyone advise?
~Rob
3 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Time Out Disconnections?

Will the router automatically reconnect when required (i.e. a netgear DG834G) or will it have to be done manually, which means running up & down the stairs A LOT!!

All the routers I've encountered - the Solwise, 3com and Linksys ones I've had at home and many Cisco ones installed for various customers - will re-negotiate a connection automatically when something on the inside network tries to communicate with the outside network. This means a delay of 5-10 seconds when the connection picks up from idle, but many people (including me) are probably living with that quite happily already - many routers and most USB modems (except perhaps recent ones, I try to avoid USB broadband modems) will disconnect themselves if left idle for a period of time, and re-connect when needed. Also, connections can drop for many reasons without timeouts - most routers cope without problems.

Netgear should be able to advise you if your particular router is likely to have problems with external disconnections.

It's also worth considering whether this change would actually affect you in practice - if you only use your connection for surfing, email and downloading it may well not do. I suspect the people most likely to be adversely affected are those who connect to home machines from external locations - we're assured that VOIP is unlikely to be affected, but I'm not sure of the status of things like PC Anywhere. I'm certain that things like TightVNC and ftp servers don't keep WAN connections alive, and therefore would be affected.

I was going to switch from BT but aint so sure now, can anyone advise?

I'm not sure I'd advise anyone to switch to FOL's broadband products at the moment - I've certainly stopped recommending them to friends and colleagues. However I wouldn't let this most recent issue put you off without a rational consideration of how it might affect you.

Peter
nibor9

Time Out Disconnections?

Many thanks for that, am currently wracking brains trying to choose a reasonably priced first time ADSL provider and dont want to end up tied to a turkey.
Might opt for a monthly contract initially.
Very tempting to stay with BT & upgrade..... and then I start reading their forums,
looks like there's no hope 4 me ;-)
N/A

Keeping alive the connection tool, Ivan

Hi,

If you are concerned about dropped connections or being disconnected due to the introduction of the idle time out policy (which I think is aweful and I disagree with this idea very srongly as it will have a negative effect on customers) a number of customers over in the PlusNet forums have suggested that one way around this is to run a small utilty that keeps alive the connection even if not actively being used by yourself.

**If that is of any interest to you I would be happy to copy & paste the various links they gave on that subject? Let me know Ivan