cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thirty minutes 'idle time-outs' how does it work?

N/A

Quote from Plusnets terms and conditions:
"6.2.2 In order to maximise service availability for all Customers on our more popular Services, PlusNet operates ‘idle time-outs’ on its ADSL Home Surf service. This works by automatically disconnecting sessions which have been inactive for more than thirty minutes. You will be able to reconnect straight away if you wish."

How does this work?

I sometimes play chess over the internet and this uses very little bandwith (probably just a few hundred kilobytes pr. hour - maybe even less) can I then risk being disconnected in the middle of the game because I used very little bandwith or will the connection be classified as active by Plusnet as long as there is any activity on the line (even thought very little data is transfered)

I am considering moving to Plusnet Broadband Plus.

Thank you very much for your answers.
6 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Idle Timeouts are not actually enforced at the moment. It's just the clause is in the Terms so that Plusnet could bring it in in the future if they needed to...

Besides, whatever usage you are using the connection, playing Chess would still keep the connection alive in the case that the idle timeouts were brought in.
N/A

Hi there and welcome,

The idle timeout has not as yet been implemented.

However, if you are using the connection, it will not disconnect.

Things like leaving a mail client running whilst minimised and scheduled to retrieve mail every 15 or 20 minutes, will overcome the idle timeout scenario, if and when it gets implemented.

Hope that helps.

Providing you dont download music or movies etc, often and use you connection mainly for browsing, email and like you say, playing on-line chess, Broadband Plus should be ideal.
Community Veteran

For the disconnection to occur (and it does not disconnect from the exchange, only to PlusNet), there must be no activity on your ADSL line for continuous period of 30 minutes. Any activity such as browsing or email collection will generate traffic on your ADSL line so the disconnect will not occur.

Even if it was idle for 30 minutes, most equipment will just reconnect to plusnet as soon as you use the connection again - i.e. check for email or visit a website. This will just result in a slightly longer delay while your ADSL modem/router logs into PN before you get what you were after.
N/A

many of your customers think it has started.
N/A

Em where?
Community Veteran

many of your customers think it has started.

Guest user, I've said this before. This forum is for prospective customers. Not old customers who still want to grind their axes.

Chris