cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The email SPAM problem for dial-up PAYG users

dusty_bin
Grafter

The current issue being discussed in the main forum also affects my mailboxes - and presumably others with PAYG dial-up accounts. How can we best contribute?
20 REPLIES
N/A

You can add any notes you want to in here, and I'll get the Comms guys to look in and answer any queries you have.

Alternatively there is a similar thread running over on our Usergroup Discussion board.

You can find the topic here.

You'll have to register to use the boards, and you can only do that from a PN connection, once you've registered you can access the PUG site from anywhere.

We have a lot of input from PN over there, so that could well be the least frustrating route.

You could also post on the beta community site, http://community.plus.net although, as its a beta, it is somewhat quieter for the time being.
dusty_bin
Grafter

Oops Wink

My symptoms are similar to those reported elsewhere:
username@username (catch-all): 3 spam actually addressed to username@username
mailbox1@username: 1 spam
mailbox2@username: 2 spam
postmaster@username: 3 spam

Interestingly I also found this in my postmaster account:
This email is to inform you that your mailbox has been archived.
We have taken this action as you have not accessed your postmaster mailbox since 11:31:54 10/02/2006.
To keep your mailbox active, you need to access it and collect E-Mail at least
once in a 180 day period.

I am not sure what archiving does, though...
rammie1976
Grafter

As an ex-BB+ subscriber who down-graded to PAYG to keep access to their email addresses I want to add that I too have been getting spam to email addresses that have never had spam before.

I received some tonight and (I think it was) yesterday too.

After reading the main thread on this subject (that I cannot contribute to) I am extremely annoyed by the breach of security and want to know just what details (and how) have been compromised by PN.
rammie1976
Grafter

How am I also getting spam to username@username.plus.com, an email address that doesn't exist!?
rammie1976
Grafter

Just found this link on the other spam mail thread
- 'priority problems' add your username to let PN know you're affected.

http://www.plus.net/support/service/problems/index.php?supporta=priorityproblems
N/A

As a former Plus.net customer (left in November 2005), I am now receiving quite a number of spam emails.

I used to have about 4-6 different email addresses (I can't remember exactly, as it's been a while), but I deleted the individual mailboxes when I left, and just used the catch all.

I think all of my old Plus.net email addresses got spammed (I was surprised at one address, as I don't think I ever sent an email from it).

The thing that has upset me the most is the fact the domain I used to host with Plus.net, but moved to another company when I left, is being spammed as well.

t22
N/A

Was the address ever used in webmail whilst it was hosted with PN?
N/A

It's quite a long time ago, and whilst I know that I did log into webmail occasionally, I could not be sure of which addresses I used.

t22
rammie1976
Grafter

I keep seeing 'ever used in webmail' - what exactly does this mean? I'm not sure of your defintion.

Also why are we getting spam addressed to username@username.plus.com? It is not an email address I have created.
N/A

I moved from PlusNet at the end of October 2006 and my account was downgraded to PAYG so I could continue to access my email accounts until such time as I'd got everything moved to the new ISP.

I've not subsequently used any of those accounts to send mail nor have I used the web interface, but four of the six accounts have been receiving significant quantities of spam for the last thee days.

Oh, and no sign of the "Important information about your email address" message, either....
N/A

I've been discussing this since it all kicked off over on adslguide but thought I'd pop back here.

archaeolith, what has basically happened is that at least part of the backend database for at least one of the webmail servers has been accessed and harvested for any email addresses. This would seem to have occured at least a week ago. What this means that any address in there is potentially now in the hands of spammers. Whether you ever checked mail for that address from PlusNet's webmail service directly, were in somone elses contact list's on PlusNet's webmail service, were in their sent/recieved lists or posisbly even just contained in a CC: or BCC: field.

There was a separate but quite possibly interlined issue of the webmail platform being modified to open a link to a site that would download a Trojan to users machines when accessed. This was in some way fixed last week, but sadly people are only just being informed. Additionally due to the age of the software used and PlusNet's custom modifications, it looks like they never actually closed the hole, so have now taken it all offline.

I've got accounts I think may have not had contact with webmail that I've forwarded details of to Bob Pullen as requested but not received a reply as yet.

This whole thing is a mess and I've been helping out people as I can on the forums I have access to as well as giving advice to at least 3 friends of mine. Unfortunately 2 of them used webmail from work so have now had up the email addresses of clients bombarded by spam. One of these people pays PlusNet purely for an email service, nothing else.

I look forward to hearing the result of the investigation into this but unfortunately I doubt much will come out. the information given in service status announcements and emails has been as late and lacking as ever. The combination of repeating the 'PlusNet takes its customers’ security very seriously' mantra and Neil Armstrong desperately trying to pass the buck when asked about the incidents don't instil me with much faith.

Would it be to much to ask that everyone impacted is given a clear spin free account of what has happened, what users can do and what PlusNet intend to do? Obviously some of this must wait until the investigation is finished but IMHO not nearly enough is being done over a week after the breach was first found.
N/A

I've now given details of an account I don't believe to have been in contact with the webmail platform to two members of the Comms team but not even had a simple acknowledgement from either of them.
rammie1976
Grafter

Thanks for the info sietchtabr. I've also discovered what username@username.plus.com is and turned off the catchall.

I suppose it was too much to expect +net to take any notice of this thread or past customers when they treat current customers so abominably! :lol: Evil

I'm glad I'm with NewNet - its like night & day. Smiley
pathme001
Dabbler

Hi,

I have a PAYG dialup account that was originally used to gain referrals from (but were all removed when the referral range was adjusted)

I only look at the account through webmail to remove messages to stop them clogging up the system. There are no e-mail addresses held in the webmail address book, that I've put in.

In my account details I have an alternate e-mail address put in where I get notifications sent to, this alternate e-mail removes spam before it reaches my mailbox.

I just setup a "postmaster" mailbox for my PlusNet account and logged into it through webmail. There is a message in there about my new mailbox and it has automatically cc'd the external e-mail address that is in my account details.

Could this be one of the ways that people who have not been using webmail in the past to send, found that they were receiving spam?