cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some help needed

N/A

Some help needed

I currently have dial-up internet with Wanadoo, and am looking at moving to Plusnet broadband. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to computers so I hope someone can help with a few basic questions:-
I would want to continue using my wanadoo e-mail address for a while after changing, but don't want to pay £15 a month to stay with Wanadoo - is there any way around this?
My computer is located about 20 feet from my phone socket - I read somewhere that using an extension line can cause problems - is this true?
Many thanks in advance
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Some help needed

My computer is located about 20 feet from my phone socket - I read somewhere that using an extension line can cause problems - is this true?
Many thanks in advance

It depends on how strong the ADSL signal is to your house.
I have quite a lengthy extension lead on my set up but I am nowhere near the limits for Broadband.
If you were a long way from the exchange with a high loss already caused by the distance then anything you add at home can only make that loss worse.

As to your Wanado account. I would imagine that once you cancel your subscription with them then they will remove your account.
TomH
Grafter

Some help needed

I cancelled with Wanadoo over 2 months ago but can still recieve e-mail with my old account.
Brickinit
Grafter

Some help needed

if you down grade to a payg account with wannado you can still get your email from them for awhile, until they realise you are connecting to them, or to keep it going longer dial up every now and again.
Community Veteran

Some help needed

I don't know if this still applies, but before I was with PN I had a Freeserve dial-up account myself - when I moved to PN, I just downgraded my Freeserve account to a pay-as-you-go account (as happyhound has already suggested). Every three months they de-activated the account because I hadn't dialed up to them, but back then they had a facility on their site which allowed you to re-activate an account, so I just used that a few times. Can't be certain Wanadoo still have that facility though...

Thomas
csogilvie
Grafter

Some help needed

Last time I was deactivated I had to phone up.
LiamM
Grafter

Some help needed

Yeah, somebody who I migrated to plusnet about half a year ago has had his account deactivated twice, but he simply rung up wanadoo and they reactivated it for him.

Unfortunately it wasn't a case of just dialing up and then it worked, he did have to ring them. Though if you dial up for, say, a few minutes every couple of months or something, you should keep your account open.

With regards to extentions, it really does depend on how good the ADSL signal is. Somebody else who i introduced to plusnet owns a pub with a cottage adjacent and they run a 20metre extention from the pub into the cottage and have no problems with 512k BB. They are about 4k from the exchange in terms of line length.
Community Veteran

Some help needed

Turns out, as I used to do, you can still re-activate it online - check this page.

Thomas