cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some basic questions...

N/A

Some basic questions...

...before I sign up with what looks like an excellent service:

1. Is the service "always on" once you have logged in? ie not cut off after X minutes/hours or a certain period of inactivity?

2. What is P2P which seems to get speed restricted at busy times?

3. Can you pls explain how your user name affects your email address as it appears to be locked in once you have signed up?

4. Is it possible to get emails received by my current dial-up ISP (Zoom) forwarded to me while logged in to my new PN account?

5. Can you check emails via the Web using another remote PC eg an internet cafe abroad or a friend's PC ?

Sorry if these are obvious questions but I can't seem to find the answers on the PN site before signing up.

Rgds

Graham
6 REPLIES
channel
Grafter

Re: Some basic questions...

...before I sign up with what looks like an excellent service:

1. Is the service "always on" once you have logged in? ie not cut off after X minutes/hours or a certain period of inactivity?

Yes, if you are talking about ADSL. Not sure, if you are talking about dial up.

2. What is P2P which seems to get speed restricted at busy times?

Filesharing systems like the OLD Napster, Grokster, EMule, EDonkey etc. Frequently used for "sharing" and downloading illegal material.

3. Can you pls explain how your user name affects your email address as it appears to be locked in once you have signed up?

You can have as many emails as you want (on an ADSL account) and they will all take the form of:

firstemailaddress@username.plus.com
secondemailaddress@username.plus.com
thirdemailaddress@username.plus.com

So your username will always form part of any email address

4. Is it possible to get emails received by my current dial-up ISP (Zoom) forwarded to me while logged in to my new PN account?

Maybe, maybe not. My BT and Nildram emails still get through. Check with Zoom.

5. Can you check emails via the Web using another remote PC eg an internet cafe abroad or a friend's PC ?

PN have webmail, so messages that you haven't already downloaded to your PC can be accessed on line.
N/A

Some basic questions...

Thanks Channel...you're up late!! LOL!!

Yes I am talking ADSL, probably BB+. So the username is important if you want to have a decent, sensible email address. Do I choose this myself when I sugn up or is it allocated by PN?

Understand all the other points thanks.

Graham
N/A

Some basic questions...

You choose the nickname.

If you want a good email address buy a domain name and forward the email from there to your PN account.

That way you never have to change your email address again.

I never give people my PN email address.
channel
Grafter

Some basic questions...

Just to clarify, my comments earlier (that ADSL would always remain connected and not time out) were correct at the time but, amazingly, PN have moved the goalposts since then !

Broadband "plus" users are now subject to a 30 minute time out. All potential migrants be warned!
N/A

Some basic questions...

All the myriad of other changes to the conditions of service were aimed at the excessive user. This one is aimed at us all.

I have now decided, rather reluctantly, to migrate.

Its a sad day for me.
holdtight
Grafter

Some basic questions...

@channel