cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Connection

rfellis

Slow Connection

After clicking Internet Explorer, it seems to take ages to produce my homepage - (Google). Often can be 30 secs or so. Once I get my homepage, I get around pages as quickly as I thought I would. I regularly check for viruses, spyware, adware etc. I regularly clear the recycle bin, temporary internet files, cookies, and defragment files. Is this connection time fairly normal, or is there something else I can do to speed things up? My usual speed is shown around 4.6 Mbps.

Rolandfellis
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Slow Connection

Are you using a router or a USB modem. If it is a modem this could be the time it takes to get on line
grimme
Grafter

Slow Connection

Some people say that pages generally load quicker using the Firefox web browser.

If you're prepared to pay a yearly fee of 24.99, there is a program Onspeed, ( www.onspeed.com ) that speeds up the browsing experience by compressing the contents of the web pages as they come into your PC (you can also set the level of compression if you wish).
It will not speed up file downloads or make secure web pages (https: ie online banking ) any quicker.

HTH
N/A

Slow Connection

If it's only the first page after a period of inactivity that is taking a long time to load, it sounds like an effect of the idle-timeouts PlusNet have implemented or which are happening due to local settings.
If the connection is not active, then the PPP session drops. Then, when a request for data (e.g. a webpage) is made, the PPP session has to be brought back up, the authentication and IP address allocation can easily take 30 seconds.