cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shaping on Premier

N/A

Shaping on Premier

Hi PlusNet,

I have been really interested in your service for a few weeks now, especially the premier. I am currently with Eclipse, who have given a fantastic service and have NEVER let me down. But I am paying too much for what I'm getting speed-wise.

I was nearly about to submit a migration request to join you, but noticed the current situation with the premier service. Can I please ask what is going on? There seems to be terribly a lot of speculation on the subject of shaping with the premier service, and I haven't actually heard any decent hard evidence about what's going on.

From what I can gather, just as I'm about to join, I find you've changed your terms. (I'm very glad I waited a bit before deciding). You have put shaping upon the premier service with P2P, so that bandwidth can be given to other things that require it, like gaming and surfing.

I do believe this is a really good idea, and I fully support it. However I've heard that many users (somewhere in the region of 2000?) have been experiencing great decreases in their P2P speed. I heard that it was only a very slight impact, one that you wouldn't even notice. Maybe about 5kb/s? I'm hearing drops of over 180kb/s. That is not anywhere near 'slight'.

I just really want to honestly know what is going on with this speed drop. I am not too much of a heavy user, but there are regular times where I definitely need P2P at its best. I do not want to join and find out that one of the major areas of my internet usage is practically useless. Many of the file transfers are based upon BitTorrent, which I know is one of the main things to be impacted.

If I join, can I be promised that this shaping will not affect me as it has, at the moment, to several people, (which I have heard was an error that is being corrected)? Even though your satisfactory guarantee will give me no risks, I'd prefer not to have to use it as that would mean me finding another ISP within that time.

Please be honest with me here as I will not be happy if I join and find that not everything you have said is true, (which I have noticed from several people who believe your honesty is to be questioned). Your service sounds great, and I have heard nothing but good remarks about you from other people. I hope this hasn’t changed.

Thank you,

Dominic
15 REPLIES
N/A

Shaping on Premier

Although the trafic shapping is only supposed to be around 5Kb. A lot of us are getting a lot less . They are blamming the way of torrents, but there are an awful lot of us with slow P2P.

New terms and conditions are expected in a few days. I would wait a while.
N/A

Shaping on Premier

Hi Dominic,

Welcome.

However I've heard that many users (somewhere in the region of 2000?) have been experiencing great decreases in their P2P speed.

This was down to a configuration error and is now sorted.

If I join, can I be promised that this shaping will not affect me as it has, at the moment, to several people

This promise cannot be made as Plus net have said that "a small amount" of traffic shaping will be applied to premier accounts. This should be around 5% of normal bandwith.

Many people are not seeing many difficulties with downloading. Those that are could be experiencing problems with the torrents or apps from which they are using to download. P2P d/l's are fraught with issues many of which were occurring prior to the traffic shaping being implemented.

Dont get me wrong, this situation was handled abysmally by Plus Net and i believe that has caused a lot of the hostility but in the main they are quite good. I have not seen any ill effects from traffic shaping and i dont think that 5% is going to make a massive hole in my ability to d/l stuff.

From a purely cost perspective, I feel it provides good value for money.
N/A

Shaping on Premier

Well without wishing to put a big downer on things.

The problems started around the time of the shapping, and are still happening, even though PN says it is not.

I am about to cancel my contract early at the cost of around £130, because I am not willing to put up with it. There is a problem and it is with a lot of people.

As I said earlier there are changes going on and new terms and conditions. I would wait.
N/A

Shaping on Premier

i was just wondering has the shapeing got anything to with plus talk?Huh
N/A

Shaping on Premier

Hi there and welcome to the forums.

The shaping will give priority to Plus Talk. So on that front the effect will be positive and beneficial.
N/A

Shaping on Premier

i was just wondering has the shapeing got anything to do with plus talk?Huh
N/A

Shaping on Premier

Hi there,

In what way? I dont understand your question.
N/A

Shaping on Premier

stay where you are if they have never let you down. more money yes, but you get what you pay for in this game.
PN talk the talk but dont walk the walk.
N/A

Shaping on Premier

The man from Plusnet says :-

PlusNet has a unique low-cost operating model, based on a flexible and scalable self-developed operating system, which allows it to record high profitability, whilst delivering competitively priced, high quality products. PlusNet aggregates national Carrier class networks, principally from BT.

This network strategy minimises capital expenditure requirements and allows the business to source network optimally from national providers, whether fixed line or wireless. PlusNet is at the centre of its customers’ Broadband world; their first choice for emerging Broadband-enabled services, such as VoIP, security and content.

The man from Plusnet goes on to say :-

In June 2005 we introduced our first VoIP services to existing PlusNet customers. This represents the first phase in our VoIP development, which gives customers the ability to make free phone calls over the internet. The next planned development in the VoIP product will introduce the ability for customers to break-out from internet calls to traditional landlines and
mobiles.

PlusNet will commence earning revenues on its VoIP products in this phase. Future developments in VoIP will introduce further functionality for customers to drive incremental revenues. The initial take-up of our VoIP product has been encouraging.

Full statement here :-

http://www.plus.net/investors/downloads/PlusNet_Interim_Results_2005_FINAL.pdf
Community Veteran

Shaping on Premier

I think what is being asked when plus tal is mentioned is: Is Plus Talk being given priority on plus nets network to the detriment of of other types of use such as p2p net e-mail etc. if so the the best way for Plus net to make sure plus talk does not drop calls etc would be to ensure it always has enough bandwidth.

As Plus Talk has recently been launched with a bit more gusto if more people are moving to it the whloe plus net network may be feeling a tad more strained.

A
Community Veteran

Shaping on Premier

To the Guest user who posted "The man from Plusnet says",

Are you actually interested in PlusNet's services as a prospective future customer?

Chris
N/A

Shaping on Premier

Yer, cause
N/A

Join but be aware of the CAPPING

Jion but be aware of the CAPPING
N/A

Shaping on Premier

Eclipse are very good, they maybe expensive but the service is brilliant. I've only been with Plus Net for a month and I have already noticed the service decline from Eclipse.