cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Pack 2

N/A

Service Pack 2

As anybody download (Service Pack 2) on Windows XP!
If so, as it caused any problems? - If so could you let me no!
Thanks Paul. Shocked
23 REPLIES
N/A

Service Pack 2

Hi,

It's been a mixed bag to be honest, some people (including myself) have had no problems, but others have lots of problems.

SP2 does allow you to roll back using system restore, but to be safe ensure your machine is either backed up or you can reformat and re-start without too much hassle.

Aaron
N/A

Service Pack 2

Thanks for the tip! - Paul

Moderators note (John) Quote removed as it was just a full copy of the previous post and not needed.
N/A

Service Pack 2

No probs,

Just as a gentle reminder, it's best not to re-quote an entire message back. Wink

Moderators note (John) See note above. Cool
Community Veteran

Service Pack 2

as it caused any problems?

Installed SP2 from disk supplied by PC Mag. Corrupted system so it went into a continuace reboot sequence. Followed advice from MS Helpdesk which created a 2nd copy of XP Pro on the machine, but would allow SP2 to install but lost all settings and drivers. Finally managed to access old XP Pro installation via safe mode and run system restore which recovered original installation with SP1 and removed 2nd copy of XP.

MS Helpdesk stated that it depends on the configuration of XP as to whether SP2 will install properly. They did not give any indication what the acceptable configuration is.
N/A

Service Pack 2

Yes some people have had lots of problems installing SP2 or Post Installation of SP2.

Guess MS didn't do enough Beta testing.

Aaron
N/A

Service Pack 2

Downloaded SP2 from Microsoft website, installed with no problems, only bugs i have found are that ie crawls since installation and had to update Logitech keyboard drivers.

Other than that all running well, Firefox browser unafected by SP2, unlike Microsofts own product.
N/A

Service Pack 2

It's very varied, some people are having problems with one or two applications, others are getting the full monty BSOD :shock:

It's still poor considering microsoft have their software on over approx 90% of the worlds machine.
N/A

Service Pack 2

I don't know if Microsoft are going to make any changes to SP2 and ammend it so that you may soon see SP2a or something like that. :lol:

I know a few big companies in the UK have been told to keep away from it for the time being.

With a company like Microsoft, the secret to updating is to tread carefully and watch what happens to other people first. Never be one of the first to update (I am guilty of falling into this field sometimes too) as you may be one of the first to wish you hadn't.
willow147
Grafter

Service Pack 2

I've not encountered any problems except for IIS (web server included with XP). All my asp database driven pages now no longer work, it just seems to hang. It looks like an authorities problem but I have no idea where to start looking.
Community Veteran

Service Pack 2

N/A

Service Pack 2

so far to date I've done 6 installs of SP2 and its only gone wrong once, but the machine that had a problem was acting up before sp2 went on it anyways.
N/A

Service Pack 2

I just uninstalled it (thankfully it was present in add/remove and worked fine)
due to it causing my comp to run really slowly , no idea why, even moving through menu options caused lag.
Had a strange problem in that after restart it "forgot" the nforce 2 stuff for the motherboard in device manager so had to reinstall drivers.
I think ill do without it..
N/A

Service Pack 2

SP2 has caused lots of problems, but the bigger problem for all those who don't use it, will be the lack of support and future fixes.

Microsoft will eventually start all future fixes, based on have SP2 installed. :shock:
N/A

Service Pack 2

Most of the future support and fixes are probably going to be needed because of SP2.

Cheers
Zen