cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPAM filtering - how effective? Absolutely critical.

N/A

Having seen some of the posts in customer feedback forum on spam filtering I was wondering how effective PlusNet's filtering actually is.

The reason for this is that I intend ordering 2 x 2Mb ADSL accounts (one for me and one for a friend) when we get our exchange enabled on 29 September.

I get between 4,000 and 6,000 spam messages daily which my current dial-up provider Wannado / Freeserve deals with amazingly well. About 80 slip through the filter but all the others are hived off into a junk folder with almost no false positives. I want to use PlusNet for our accounts and NOT Wannado but am obviously concerned that the spam can be dealt with as efficiently. Any comments / reassurances?

Steve
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

First of all you will be starting with a new email address. You can divert your old mail across but with that amount of spam why on earth do that?
With a brand new address you should have very little spam to start with so it shouldnt be a problem.

The new PlusNet spam filters are still on a learning curve and I must admit I don't use the system. But from what I read you can "educate" the system to deal with your spam as and when it starts to appear.
N/A

Thanks for the reply. However, I have my own domain name which is with uk2.net which I'll still be using and forwarding from there to the plusnet address as I do now with FS / Wanado.

Also, anyone know the charge for hosting a .net domain?

Steve
N/A

Re: SPAM filtering - how effective? Absolutely critical.

are hived off into a junk folder with almost no false positives

Herein lies the problem. Too strong a filter and you could loose/miss an important mail. Too weak and junk gets through.

The real trick is for you to use some simple security with your email address. The easiest is to use a different prefix for each site/service you use email on. For example, email address used at ebay would be ebay@username .plus.com and for 'dirtydens' the address dirtydens@username. plus.com . That way, when you start to get spam appear using that address, you know which site has given away your address and a simple rule can be set up in your mail client to trash it (or use the abuse black hole redirect). You can then set up a new address and deal with that as well in turn as it starts to generate spam.
Over all, don't give your email address out "willy nilly" .
csogilvie
Grafter

£0.00

You can (on ADSL Home) host up to 3 domains Free Of Charge.
N/A

Hi
Colin, what are you saying here, set up to collect spam only :?: Tongue
csogilvie
Grafter

Was answering how much it cost to host a .net domain.
N/A

Hi
Thats Ok then. :!: Tongue