cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prospective user requesting sales pitch

N/A

I'm currently with freeola broadband but am thinking of changing due to their high prices (£26.99 for 512k).

I can never go above 512k as I am at the outer limit of the functional range from my exchange. BT recently upgraded my entire exchange to 2MB which effectively reduced the service I am receiving, it's like having a 56k connection again sometimes. This is not Freeola's (or even BT's) fault it's just unfortunate for me. It is being resolved this week apparently.

The sticking point in choosing a new provider is that I maintain 3 websites (1 for me and 2 for friends) and I would need to transfer the domains (1 .com and 2 .co.uk) and the domain email adresses to the new provider as well. I confess to being puzzled as to exactly how much this would cost.

Whoever I do choose will be getting not 1 but 3 new customers (1 heavy broadband user, 1 light broadband user and 1 dial-up user)

F9 people, here is your chance for a bit of a sales pitch. How much would it cost me to transfer the domains and how much will it cost to become an F9 customer?

I look forward to your response.

My friends websites are www.[link removed on request] and www.[link removed on request].co.uk, cyteck forum moderator 2.09.05 at 09:16am
9 REPLIES
N/A

Domain Names & Transfers in, replying Ivan

Hello guest,

I cannot comment on your connection speed issues as that is clearly BT related, however if you moved from your present ISP (Providor) & became a Force9 (Plusnet) customer then you can "transfer in" your domains via a special tool on the portal & this is without any fee's involved as far as I am aware. i.e. Free!!

In fact you have x2 choices a) a partial transfer from your old ISP which means the domain is pointed to F9 but the ISP Tag for the domain remains with its current providor or b) a total transfer of the domain names which includes the ISP tag being transfered too, this would mean F9 would not only host the domain names it would also hold the tag too (lock stock & barrel etc,etc).

**Be aware that rewal fee's related to domain names apply after 2 yrs usually and in the partial transfer option the original TAG holder is often also the registering company & so fee's would be paid to them. In the total transfer option I think the renewal fee's would be via F9 so you need to know what exactly these fee's might be?

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
The True power of knowledge is when its shared.
N/A

thanks for the reply cytek. I immediately went to the f9 packages page (bearing in mind I've got to 'sell' F9's products to 2 other people and was stopped dead in my tracks. Why? well the bizarre pricing policy for Broadband Premier (which would be the package most suitable for me)

Speed Up to 2Mb £21.99

As said previously I cannot get a faster connection than 512k. Why, in the name of all that is good, would I spend £21.99 on a connection when somebody living 2 miles down the road can get 4 times the bandwidth for the same money. No matter how many times I look at it, it just does not make financial (or any other kind of) sense.

F9 have lost 3 potential customers, if they rethink this bizarre situation and provide a 'pay for what you get' pricing scheme I may reconsider.
N/A

I think you're looking at it slightly backwards.

The 21.99 price you pay is for 512k broadband, up until very recently that's all anyone got, 1mb was 29.99 and 2mb was 39.99

Most ISP's are now making a change to the way broadband is provided and paid for.... it's more about quantity of data as opposed to raw line speed. You no longer have to choose a specific speed, rather by default they will just give you the fastest your line can support. This is down to BT Wholesale I think. It's a bonus that they are allowing customers to have "up to 2mb" for the same price as 512k as long as your line supports it. This means for many customers it's a welcome perk which unfortunately because of your circumstances you will not benefit from. (but hey, many people can't get broadband at all!)

The cost to the ISP for providing a 512k service is not significantly less than 2mb, I think down to BT's wholesale pricing.

I'd be really interested to hear if you can find another ISP that offers an equivalently specified premier service at 512k for anything significantly less than 21.99

good luck finding your ISP,
bfn.
N/A

not a prospective customer any more

you know those two 'brothers' from the current direct line ads with the identical cars?

Imagine that they go into a car showroom to buy those cars and get identical ones again. They pay the same price for the cars but when the unlucky one looks under the bonnet he finds an engine with a quarter of the power of his brother's car. The unlucky brother then complains about this treatment to the dealer who tells him "It's because of where you live, the cars cost us roughly the same to make so you pay the same price but get an inferior product". Unlucky brother turns into somewhat miffed brother rapidly.

An analogy that works for what I was saying I think. I don't care how much BT charge F9, that's their problem and whoopee-do for the people down the road who can get a 2mb connection, I can't so I shouldn't have to pay for something I'm not getting. I do enough of that with income tax and VAT.

When I find an ISP that talks sense I'll be sure to let everybody know.
N/A

Re: not a prospective customer any more

An analogy that works for what I was saying I think. I don't care how much BT charge F9, that's their problem and whoopee-do for the people down the road who can get a 2mb connection, I can't so I shouldn't have to pay for something I'm not getting. I do enough of that with income tax and VAT.

When I find an ISP that talks sense I'll be sure to let everybody know.

I totally understand how you feel, but your situation is a limitation of the technology BT provide and there is little any ISP's can do about it.

How much would you be prepared to pay for a 512k premier service considering others are getting 2mb for 21.99? You'll be dissapointed if you're thinking a quarter of the cost because you're only getting a quarter of the speed. ISP's can only go so low before it's uneconomical and I think stiff competition in the market is already pushing them as low as they can.

Although I still think 21.99 is a bargain price for a premier 512k service, let alone 2mb, I think your way of looking at it is something Plusnet/force9 should take note of... i.e. the way "up to 2mb" is advertised and promoted.... I can totally see how customers will be totally cheesed off to be offered 2mb, and then only given 512k without getting any price reduction. A lot of potential customers could be turned away by that.

If you do find that magical ISP, be warned that you get what you pay for, and if they can afford to offer service that cheap then they are probably cutting corners somewhere (like a lack of customer service, or perhaps oversubscribing their bandwidth allocation) and you won't find out until you're tied in for 12 months as their customer. But then you seem to be doing a good job of researching for a good ISP by asking questions here, so I'm sure you won't fall into that trap by subscribing to a cowboy-ISP without first having it recomended by several of it's customers.

bfn.
N/A

Speeds Ivan

TestdriveF9 (guest),

The only way I can see of improving speeds of your internet connection would be to subscribe to a non BT telecoms providor. If you are in an area where you can receive either NTL or Telewest (**or even wireless) then its quite likely you may well get more than 512K.

Both NTL & Telewest run their own networks which remain independant from BT (well largely so) both use optical fibre links which have completely different technical capabilities from BT's old copper twisted pairs. NTL & Telewest are offering pretty impressive line/connection speeds too right now (above 512K).

**I think you might find it useful to check out there websites:

http://www.ntl.com/home
http://www.telewest.co.uk

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
The True power of knowledge is when its shared.
N/A

not in cabled area

cytek,

thanks for the response, unfortunately for me I do not live in a cabled area. so NTL and Telewest are non-starters.

Regards
N/A

Hello Again TestdriveF9 (guest),

Sorry! to hear that, Humm!! are you certain of your facts (you might be of course?) but have you checked that information and are you completely sure. One way to be 100% certain or well as certain as one can be about such things is to run a postcode check or phone number check, use the following website this will tell you what BT or other providor service might be available?

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/index.php

Also use is http://users.plus.net/

**IF you are truely in a location where broadband is either NOT available or limited for technical reasons (such as line length or distance from the BT exchange, line noise etc). There remains a small glimmer of hope in that next year BT will be introducing a new generation of Broadband Services called MAXDSL, this will have much more relaxed technical limitations so people who were not able to get any BB services before might get something and those users on distance limits for 2MB service might now get the 2MB. Nothing of course is 100% guarenteed with these things as I am sure you will now appreciate. Beyond what I have said already I'm at a loss to know what more I can say or how I can help.

Regards Ivan
N/A

move to f9?

dont waste your time,ive had bettter dial up services Evil