cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Postmaster account

dusty_bin
Grafter

Postmaster account

I could not see how to remove the postmaster alias from the default account and alias it to a different mailbox.
For the time being, I've used a redirect instead - but just wondered if it were possible to set this up using alias. (BTW the default alias is still listed)
15 REPLIES
Liam
Grafter

Postmaster account

You'll need to turn the catch-all back on again (temporarily) to do that. Once it's on, you can attach a postmaster alias to another mailbox. Then turn it back off again and it should stay.
dusty_bin
Grafter

Postmaster account

Thanks Liam, but I'm obviously missing something as catch-all was already on for username@username.
I've tried:
- turning it off
- turning it on for mailbox@username
- turning it back on for username@username

In each case postmaster remains aliased to username@username with no option to edit or delete. Trying to set up a new alias for postmaster gives an error that it already exists.

I moved some others from redirects to aliases and have found no problem with them - just postmaster.

[edit] I'll put the redirect back for the time being
dusty_bin
Grafter

Postmaster account

Is anyone looking at the sticky postmaster alias problem mentioned above? It is also highlighted here and here
N/A

Postmaster account

From the Help Pages:
Please note: Your default mailbox automatically has an alias set up to receive Postmaster mail from PlusNet. You can’t change this, but you can redirect your Postmaster emails to another address if you like.

This seems to imply that you cannot change the alias but only add a redirect.

I've always had catch-all off as it's a Bad Thing™. And I don't seem to be able to have a postmaster alias setup anywhere.
rammie1976
Grafter

Postmaster account

I thought I'd check this thread to see if it helped my username@ spam dilemma - NOT! :shock:

But fortunately the spam has eased off, for now anyway.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Postmaster account

Or in my case create a postmaster@ account which is also setup in Outlook/Outlook Express.
Sad to say I did this because I wasn't at all sure how Alias and Redirect would work in practice :?
dusty_bin
Grafter

Postmaster account

On this account it still seems impossible to have a postmaster mailbox...

@holtlane: It sounds as though you were able to create one, but how?
Community Veteran

Postmaster account

Just did it by the add mailbox route
dusty_bin
Grafter

Postmaster account

OK - but, when I do that, I just get told: Mailbox/Alias postmaster is already used, presumably because of the existing postmaster alias.

On my BB account, I do have a postmaster mailbox, and I can only assume that I was able to create that becasue I did it before aliases were available in addition to redirects... or I've missed something...
Community Veteran

Postmaster account

It looks as though the latest changes have mucked up something.
Quick way out of the problem.
Go to here and change the contact email address to whatever you want and then don't collect emails from the default address.
Alternatively you should be able to add a redirect for postmaster to another address and apparently it overrides the alias
dusty_bin
Grafter

Postmaster account

Hmmm. I just discovered that, although I can't create a postmaster mailbox, the new 'rename' facility does allow me to rename the default mailbox to be postmaster, however the alias entry for postmaster still remains and it can point to a different mailbox.

I'm just going to try a few experiments...
dusty_bin
Grafter

Postmaster account

Well, those experiments have me totally confused - or perhaps I've confused the email system Wink

1. If I rename the default mailbox to 'postmaster' the system quite reasonably does not allow me to create a redirect for 'postmaster', but... it does allow me to create a redirect while the default mailbox is named something else and then I can still rename the default mailbox to be postmaster. The end result is that I can have a postmaster mailbox (default), an alias for postmaster and a redirect for postmaster! Emails to 'postmaster' end up in both the aliased and redirect mailboxes (as long as they are not postmaster) but never end up in the postmaster mailbox.

2. If I remove the redirect and set the postmaster alias to point to the postmaster mailbox, email for postmaster does not get delivered to the postmaster mailbox, but still gets delivered to both the old alias and redirect mailboxes, i.e. as though nothing has changed from the orginal configuration.

I still haven't managed to find a way to get postmaster email delivered to a postmaster mailbox.
Community Veteran

Postmaster account

myblog, that's exactly what I'm trying to do. I joined PlusNet years ago when the default mailbox was postmaster@, so like you, I am trying to set things up so that I can again have my default mailbox named 'postmaster', without that silly alias confusing things. Could anyone from PlusNet please comment on whether or not this is possible somehow? Surely if we have a mailbox named 'postmaster', we can do without the alias?
Community Veteran

Postmaster account

Actually, I've done some tinkering and found a way to delete the postmaster alias. It involves jumping through hoops, but it is possible if you do the following:

• Create a new mailbox - I called mine 'temp'.
  • Click the 'delete' button by the mailbox, but don't click 'Yes' on the 'Delete mailbox confirmation' page.
  • In a new window, go to your aliases page, and edit the 'postmaster' alias so it's attached to the 'temp' mailbox.
  • Go back to your original window - the delete confirmation - and hit 'Yes'. Voila!