cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pointing domain name at Plusnet webspace

N/A

I'm thinking of joining Plusnet. I have a domian name (e.g. example.co.uk) which is still registered with the people I bought it from and points to my (old) ISP's webspace (e.g. www.myname.ispname.co.uk/example). Because of this 'pointing' so that example.co.uk appears in the address bar (is it called cloaking?), Google doesn't index my site under the domain name. I don't want to move the domain registration, but would a plusnet bb+ account help me get round this in some way? I seem to remember reading that it would but I can't find the relevant page now!
Thanks.
16 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

the BB+ account comes with 100mb webspace and the ability to host your domain included in the cost. As such your domain name would display correctly and be searchable. Cloaking wont come into it.
N/A

Thanks but I don't want to move my domain name to Plusnet, I want to keep it where it is (at the place I bought it) and renew it from there, but use the webspace at Plusnet. I thought I read that this was possible but can't find it now...
N/A

Hi,

It is possible. Plus net can host the domain with the registration and billing remaining with the current company. All you need to do is a DNS transfer, there is a Ticket path for this, and once that has completed upload the site to your space.

You dont have to change anything else.

Sorry if my wording caused confusion. I should have been clearer.
N/A

Thank very much for this. As I'm new here, please could you just explain what "a DNS transfer, there is a Ticket path for this" means? Thanks a lot. Shockedops:
LiamM
Grafter

A DNS transfer means that Plusnet will control where your domains points, but your registrar will deal with registration and billing.

Means you can host your domain with Plusnet, whilst not paying their renewal fees. All it requires is a change of namersever from wherever they point now, to Plusnet's and the registrar will do this for you.

Tis easy.

A ticket path is a route through Plusnet's ticketing system. Once you're a customer you'll be able to login and 'raise a support ticket'. You follow a specific path depending on your query (e.g. "Domain Queries", "Connection Queries" etc...)
N/A

Hi,

From the Plus net info on Domain hosting

DNS only transfer

If you wish us to only host the DNS for your domain and not become the billing or Admin contact, you simply need to ask your current host to change the DNS settings of your domain to our servers. The details of which are:

Primary DNS: ns1.force9.net - 195.166.128.16
Secondary DNS: ns2.force9.net - 195.166.128.17

For security reasons, we cannot host your domain until these settings have changed and propagated. You can check this using a Whois checker, such as the one linked below.

Once the DNS has changed, you should request a manual transfer of your domain name in the box below.

The ticket system is how you deal with any issue on your Plus net acount where you have to contact support.

Much of it is automated and wizard driven. It is a superb feature and fully trackable and accountable.

Hope that helps

Edit. Liam beat me to it. Must type faster. Smiley
Community Veteran

Edit. Liam beat me to it. Must type faster. Smiley

When I first started posting I had my line in my sig about everyone replying before me!
N/A

Thanks guys, you're great! Cheesy
Just one tiny little question Shockedops: - it said"For security reasons, we cannot host your domain until these settings have changed and propagated. " Does that mean the website will be unreachable for a while (days?) between changing the DNS addresses at the registrar and plusnet doing whatever it is they have to do(?) at their end? Thanks
LiamM
Grafter

Nope. Not if you replicate the site on PN's servers before changing it over. It might take upto 24-48 hours to changover (doesn't normally take that long) but it should seamlessly switch from ur old webspace over to PN without anyone noticing... that is if the site is setup here already.
N/A

Thanks! Cheesy
vic_newey
Grafter

I thought it was called ' masking ' I registered' www. vicnewey.co.uk ' with easily.co.uk ' & selected 'domain masking '
& when you type it in it brings up my +net website but still shows ' vicnewey.co.uk '
I can redirect the masking at anytime should I move my website
N/A

Hi. That's exactly what I have but I thought Google wouldn't index it if you did that? Am I wrong?
vic_newey
Grafter

Easily give a free google listing I was pleased to discover, try searching my name vic newey , on +nets search & it brings up google with my website details & that my Domain is reg with Easily, don't know if others are the same tho
N/A

I've a question on a similar vein. I've got a domain with 1&1 and I'd like to keep it registered with them since they're cheap.

I understood the bit earlier in this thread regarding webspace, but could someone tell me if there is any way to get mail for my domain name sent & received through Plus Net. If so will it appear to come from my domain when I send or will it appear to come from a PlusNet mail account.