cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help! NEW Customer but cannot connect via 0808 Number

N/A

Apologies if this has been posted into the incorrect section but I need help!!

Not the medical kind, but I am currently contacting this forum via my daughters alternative cable/broadband connection as I cannot connect to my computer via Dialup.

My daughter, unlike myself works with computers for a living and has attempted and unsuccessfully spent hours trying to configure and reconfigure settings on what was her old computer (which is an G4 applemac). She herself used to be a customer with PlusNet before moving across to another service so she does know that there are no hardware issues RE: the computer.

Having been happy before with PlusNet's services, she, on my behalf, successfully set up an account with you today, whereby my details were verified and confirmed. Yet I am now unable to connect to your services via the 0808 number provided. The only service available to me is an 0845 service. Everytime it gets as far as estabilishing a connection and goes to 'Authenticate user' it fails, disconnecting the service. This has now been happening all day under various changes of settings and numbers.

We've checked account names, password settings, TCP/IP settings, DNS servers, firewall settings ...things I don't even know exist, in fact pretty much everything and we are left completely baffled!

So could this be an issue with BT? We are ex telephone directory and we have also tried the inclusion of 1470 in the CLI number but still to no avail.

At the moment I cannot express enough my upset at not receiving this service, I am currently paying for a service I can't receive. What can I do?

Any help from either forum members or support would be appreciated.

Cry
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I am not sure I can help but as a start can you advise which dialup account you have and which 0808 number you have been trying
N/A

Yes it's the 0808 9933269 standard user account.

We've even tried it as 1470, 0808 9933269 or 14700808 9933269 or simply as it is 0808 9933269. Non of them seem to connect.

My daughter previously used the heavy user account with a different number.
Community Veteran

Very silly question perhaps but I assume from your original post that you have a BT line as 0808 numbers don't work on a non BT line
One point to check is what PlusNet think your account is. If you go to member centre then account details what does it say.
Community Veteran

Also the phone number that you signed up withis this the number you are dialling out from?
N/A

Very silly question perhaps but I assume from your original post that you have a BT line as 0808 numbers don't work on a non BT line
One point to check is what PlusNet think your account is. If you go to member centre then account details what does it say.

Hotlane thanks for your reply.

Yes we have a BT line, have done for many, many years using a BT together package. The phone line and number is exactly the same as when my daughter was using it a year ago.

Just checked in the members area as you suggested and everything seems to have been set up correctly. Phone number stated in the CLI is as stated previously 0808 9933269.

:roll:
N/A

Also the phone number that you signed up withis this the number you are dialling out from?

Not entirely certain what you mean here strathbungo1, sorry.

When signing up for the account, I believe we entered the 'package phone' number that I wanted to use i.e; 0808 9933269 Standard User.

This question did throw us at first and we thought that it may need to be the BT landline number? Yet if so, surely the account would have been declined due to an incorrect number being inserted? :shock:
Community Veteran

Thats what went wrong.
When you signed up you should have given your BT number as the account is tied to that number so that other people can't steal your bandwidth..
I am not sure if that can be fixed except by PlusNet as I don't think the facility is included in the user area to change the number the account is registered with.
You can either raise a ticket (I would do that anyway) or try to phone (but expect a long wait)
You would have expected an 0808 number to be rejected but apparently the system isn't that clever.
N/A

Thats what went wrong.
When you signed up you should have given your BT number as the account is tied to that number so that other people can't steal your bandwidth..
I am not sure if that can be fixed except by PlusNet as I don't think the facility is included in the user area to change the number the account is registered with.
You can either raise a ticket (I would do that anyway) or try to phone (but expect a long wait)
You would have expected an 0808 number to be rejected but apparently the system isn't that clever.

So from what you are saying Holtlane (sorry not Hotlane as I referred to you before) I should have entered my BT landline number?

So in effect then by entering the 0808 number as my account it's kind of cancelling itself out before it's even connected. How silly!? Having said that I have just gone back into my account details and the only number I have showing in the my details area under my address is my BT landline number.

Do you mean my CLI number is wrong?

If I go into my - Control your CLI Numbers it is showing the following:

Your CLI (Caller Line Identification) number is used to identify the telephone number your modem is dialling from. - So does this mean my BT Landline Number?? Oh dear...i'm confused now. Shockedops:

CLI Primary Action
08089933269 Yes Remove

Should the above number be my BT Landline number and not the PlusNet Package number? Would this then explain the 1470 required for ex directory numbers in front of my area code?

Apologies for SO many questions.

If I remember rightly I'm almost certain that my daughter had to phone PlusNet once before RE: the same query. Call me stupid, but it really isn't the clearest of requests when you are signing up for the service, especially to a computer novice. And to not reject the account immediately seems crazy!

So if I need to raise a ticket, where do I go and would PlusNet be able to change this for me?

I could do with some online Forum support here from a PlusNet bod to I think! Oh dear what a mess.... :?
Community Veteran

When you signed up you were asked to enter your landline number that people use to you (an 01 or 02 number) this is used as your default number which is the only number accepted when using dial up any other phone numbers that are dial into PN with your username and password are rejected, you need to add in the number of the line which you are connecting to PN from.

You can do it from - https://portal.plus.net/my.html?s=0&action=modify_cli

From what you are saying the number 08089933269 is already i there which should be deleated.

Add in your landline number which you are dialling into PN from and set it as the primary number and then delete the 08089933269 number.

If you have any problems doing this don't hestiate to ask.
N/A

Add in your landline number which you are dialling into PN from and set it as the primary number and then delete the 08089933269 number.

If you have any problems doing this don't hestiate to ask.

What a silly moo....Having read it again properly my daughter and I realise now that we have entered the wrong number haven't we!? Shockedops:

I have now changed the primary number to the BT Landline number.

Unfortunately I'm not able to try this out on my computer tonight as I am at my daughter's house, but may I take the trouble to thank you all for your help on the matter, and hope that my connection problems may now be resolved. I'll let you know in due course.

If not I will seek your advice. Thanks again.