cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picking up plusnet emails using other isps

N/A

I use plusnet dial up from my office and have no problems managing emails. If I try to access them from my home which is BT broadband I cannot because plusnet tell me they have blocked my isp. If I cannot collect my emails from home, how can I be gaurentteed I can anywhere else in the world? What is going wrong here?
7 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,

You can access our mailserver (mail.plus.net) via any ISP, we only block requests to our relay server from external ISPS for security reasons.
N/A

Can you instruct me what I have to do please.
Community Veteran

All you do is set up your email client to use mail.plus.net as your POP server and enter your plusnet username (or username+malboxname) & password related to the mailbox you want to read messages from and you can collect email from your plusnet account from any ISP.

If you want to send EMail. you must setup your email client to use the SMTP server that the ISP you are connected to uses, and if you are connected to plusnet, you can use relay.plus.net. You may need to change thjis each time you change ISPs or networks you connect to.

Info on setting up different email clients can be found here.
N/A

Hi, Thanks for your last reply, I have managed to configure my outlook 2003 to download emails. But unfortunately cannot send emails. I do not understand what you meant by the following and the the link leaves me even more confused. It can't be that difficult. Please help.
Thanks

"If you want to send EMail. you must setup your email client to use the SMTP server that the ISP you are connected to uses, and if you are connected to plusnet, you can use relay.plus.net. You may need to change thjis each time you change ISPs or networks you connect to.

Info on setting up different email clients can be found here."
Community Veteran

Just like you setup your email client to pick up emails from mail.plus.net, there is a similar server to send emails out. This is usually refered to as the SMTP server.

Each ISP will have it's own SMTP server that your email client must use to send emails through. For plusnet this is relay.plus.net, for another ISP you need to find out what they use from the ISP concerned.

When you are connected to the internet via a plusnet account, you can only use plusnets SMTP server - relay.plus.net - to send emails. If you are connected via say Wanadoo, you must use the SMTP server that Wanadoo has - smtp.wanadoo.co.uk. If you are connected via a BT Yahoo! connection, you must use BT Yahoos!s SMTP server - mail.btinternet.com

So each time you connect via a different ISP, you must change the SMTP server your email client uses to the ISPs SMTP server.
N/A

Right - got this working now with your help. I have to say the online instructions are very poor.
Thanks
Community Veteran

It is not typical for people to want to send emal from multiple ISP connections so I'm not surprised. They are designed for simple setup when only using plusnet.