cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newcomer to Broadband

N/A

Newcomer to Broadband

Hi Everyone,

I am considering changing over from dialup with Tiscali to Broadband Plus with Plusnet. for £14.99 per month.

I am relatively new to computers and not terribly well versed technically so would welcome some advice before i proceed with my transfer.

How long will it take to transfer accounts?

Is the transfer a simple operation or should i seek expert advice?

Do Plusnet offer new free email accounts? Am i correct in thinking that once i cancel my Tiscali Account, i will no longer receive emails unless i carry on paying for their service?

Tiscali, for it's sins has an excellent number of interesting and informative forums for it's members. Will I be excommunicated once i severe my ties?

Is there any other information i should be aware of that may be useful to know.

Sorry If i appear a bit dim but i am getting on a bit and although a "breath of fresh air" computers can prove difficult at times, particularly on an infuriatingly very slow dialup service.

Grateful if someone will run through the changeover procedure with me

My computer is a Dell Dimension 4600 running Windows XP Home

Ernest

[Moderator's note by Liam Martin (martinfamily): Removed Duplicate Post]
10 REPLIES
N/A

Newcomer to Broadband

Hi there,

Firstly welcome to the forum.

As you are on dial up with Tiscali, its not a case of "transfering" your account. You will have to sign up to the adsl account with Plus Net, who will then liase with Bt to get your line activated and within 7-10 working days you will be online and active. the only part of the process that could be described as complicated is the setting up of your adsl modem or router. Most come with fairly straight forward instructions.

With regards your existing account, i dont know Tiscali's rules, but most ISP's let you revert to a PAYG account and providing you log in or access your email you should be fine. The same could apply to forum access but again I cant be sure.

We have an excellent forum community here and if you need advice or assistance at any time there will be many in a position to assist.

Before you get going, I would suggest that you look at the Tutorials and FAQ section of the portal. All the advice and guidance you need is there.

If you are at all unsure about anything post back and we will see what we can do.

I hope your move to Plus Net goes smoothly and look forward to seeing you on the forums.
Community Veteran

Newcomer to Broadband

I used to be with tiscali after they took over lineone the last time i dailled in was xmas and before that it was before I got my BB activated spring last year! I still have acess to my tiscali e-mail addresses and connection so they have not disabled my account (mind you i was on what would now be called PAYG - i joined before all these fixed cost packages were available)
N/A

Newcomer to Broadband

Hi there,

Firstly welcome to the forum.

As you are on dial up with Tiscali, its not a case of "transferring" your account. You will have to sign up to the adsl account with Plusnet, who will then liase with Bt to get your line activated and within 7-10 working days you will be online and active. the only part of the process that could be described as complicated is the setting up of your adsl modem or router. Most come with fairly straight forward instructions.

With regards your existing account, i dont know Tiscali's rules, but most ISP's let you revert to a PAYG account and providing you log in or access your email you should be fine. The same could apply to forum access but again I cant be sure.

We have an excellent forum community here and if you need advice or assistance at any time there will be many in a position to assist.

Before you get going, I would suggest that you look at the Tutorials and FAQ section of the portal. All the advice and guidance you need is there.

If you are at all unsure about anything post back and we will see what we can do.

I hope your move to Plusnet goes smoothly and look forward to seeing you on the forums.

Many thanks Mark for your friendly welcome and i am really looking forward to joining you all at Plusnet, very soon.

If i do experience any difficulties it is nice to know there's helpful souls around to offer some assistance.

Thank you too no7oliver for you input. It appears i can retain my account with Tiscali and transfer to PAYG as you and Mark suggested. I suppose it will also prove useful to have an alliterative dial up service in case of any problems materializing on change over to broadband.

Am i correct in thinking free email accounts come with the Plusnet Package and how many is one aloud to open. I use Incredimail as opposed to Outlook Express but have my Tiscali emails forwarded direct to Incredimail. Am i correct in assuming i will be able to do the same with with my Plusnet emails but all my previous Tiscali email accounts will have to be re-routed to their webmail page?

No doubt there will be lots of other problems popping up but i will read the tutorials and FAQs and will try not to become a nuisance.

Thanks again for you help.

Kind Regards

Ernest
N/A

Newcomer to Broadband

Hi ernest,

You are welcome.

With regards email, you can have as many mailboxes as you need with Plus net. As for Incredimail, this will work with both your existing Tiscali mail and your new Plus Net.

Just remember to change your outbound mail server in your tiscali account to relay.plus.net when you join and all will work as before.

Bear in mind, that with your Plus net account you will also have a back up 0845 dial up number.

Hope the activation goes smoothly for you.
Stan_S_
Dabbler

Newcomer to Broadband

Bear in mind, that with your Plus net account you will also have a back up 0845 dial up number.

Is this automatically provided or does it need to be set up, and if so, how?
Does it use my broadband modem (BT Voyager 105 in my case) or does it use the modem built in to the computer which I used with 56k dial up with a previous ISP?
Community Veteran

Newcomer to Broadband

It uses your Modem and you will use the roaming number which you pay for the call charges ~ 1p per minute. 0845 1400101

You will very rarely need this though. I* can't recall having to use it in over 2 years Smiley
LiamM
Grafter

Newcomer to Broadband

The only time my broadband has gone down is when my entire line has gone down at the fault of BT. How useful would the dialup line would have been then lol? Not at all.
Stan_S_
Dabbler

Newcomer to Broadband

It uses your Modem and you will use the roaming number which you pay for the call charges ~ 1p per minute. 0845 1400101

Thanks for reply, but which modem - the one built in to the computer or the Voyager 105? Also, how is it set up please?

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Quote fags fixed to display the quote properly.
Community Veteran

Newcomer to Broadband

The dial up one that may be built into your machine (some people have external ones).
Set up is as per normal dial up but make the phone number the 0845 1400101 one in the dial up networking settings.

Then when you have broadband tell Internet explorer (on the connections tab) never to dial a connection and it wont use it but look for your LAN one instead.

If ADSL then failed you would just change the Internet explorer setting to dial default connection and it will then use the dial up modem instead of your ADSL one.
N/A

Almost Ready to go!

BT Have confirmed my Broadband connection is complete (Not yet confirmed by PlusNet) and my modem has arrived. Activation date appears to be Friday 27th May but a couple of days is not too long to wait. :lol:

My one concern is connection of the phone line cable from the new Voyager 105 USB ADSL Modem into the Phone socket (via the microfilter) as the length of the telephone cable received with the new modem is not long enough to fit directly into the micro filter fitted to the telephone extension socket in the other bedroom.

My set up at the moment is as follows: Telephone extension lead runs from upstairs bedroom telephone extension socket to my upstairs office on a cable real containing double sockets with two further extension leads from the cable real to (1) my computer and (2) my old laptop (Only used in emergencies)

Will it be in order for me to fit the filter into the upstairs telephone socket and then the extension lead cable into the filter socket. Take out (2) my old laptop telephone cable and replace it with the telephone cable from the new ADSL Modem? Or will i have to have a long lead telephone cable streching all the way from the bedroom telephone socket direct to my new ADSL Modem?

Sorry, hope that all makes sense! :!: as i read somewhere of people having problems using a number of extension leads with broadband

Kind regards

Ernest