cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New product availability

N/A

New product availability

thank you :-) Naturally it depends how it is prioritised then, it really makes sense to just go for a lite cheaper option really then if online radio, p2p and online gaming is limited. I guess streaming in general will be problematic. Do you know roughly how reduced this would be in speed?

I guess theorectically, if you were lucky enough to be on one of the exchanges reaching the 8Mb trials and only a proportion was taken away if you were using P2P then it won't be limited greatly?

Nick
7 REPLIES
N/A

New product availability

I am shortly moving to ADSL from dialup and Plusnet is on my shortlist of ISPs.
Reading http://www.plus.net/features/usage_guide.shtml I find:

"From April, Broadband Premier will no longer be sold on speed, but will instead be sold on levels of fair usage. Every Broadband Premier customer will be able to upgrade to the highest speed their line can support, free of charge."

"The fair usage thresholds and equivalent prices will be as follows:

£18.99 - 22GB per month peak time, potential including off peak usage of 222GB* (This applies to current Home Surf customers)
£21.99 – 30 GB per month peak time, potential including off-peak usage of 230GB* (Including ADSL Home and Broadband EasyStart customers)
£29.99 – 50 GB per month peak time, potential including off-peak usage of 250GB* (Including Broadband EasyStart 1Mb)
£39.99 – 75GB per month peak time, potential including off-peak usage of 275GB*

* Off-peak is between 1am and 8am. The potential off-peak usage is based on a 2Mb broadband connection."

Are the prices VAT inclusive?
When will I be able to apply for the £18.99 - 22GB product ?
N/A

New product availability

You can't, as it stands, apply for the £18.99 option.
As it says in brackets, "This applies to current Home Surf customers"

However, something called "Broadband Plus" is on the horizon.
PlusNet have not (unless I've missed them) given any specific details on this one yet, so this is just me reading between the lines and guessing, not "official", but I suspect that it will be rather like the old "HomeSurf" package - possibly no P2P, no newsgroups, no streaming media, something along those lines - and will be cheaper than the standard packages, so if you're happy with as service where certain types of use are restricted, keep an eye out for an announcement in the near future.

Edit:
Moving on to the Feedback forum, I've just come across this from Dave Tomlinson (he's in PlusNet Customer Services):
"The Broadband Plus account will be a service that has QoS applied to it. As such it will designed so that things like web browsing and email will be nice and fast, but at peak times you'll see peer-2-peer apps slow down from the maximum speeds."
and
"The details of this product have not yet been finalised so it would be premature of us to start hinting or posting specifics. As soon as the information is finalised here then we will get it released."

So - my guess is evidently wrong in respect of "no P2P" -it'll be slow at times rather than actually barred. If your main interest is just browsing and, of course, e-mail, and the idea of a cheaper service where other things don't perform quite as well as you'd normally expect but are still there if you occasionally need them appeals to you, it sounds as if it could be worth waiting for.
N/A

New product availability

You can't, as it stands, apply for the £18.99 option.
As it says in brackets, "This applies to current Home Surf customers"

I realise that, I asked when I would be able to apply.

There appears to be another route
http://www.plus.net/support/faq/broadband_fair_usage_faq.shtml#18
says
"3. Which of your broadband products does the fair usage policy apply to?
Broadband Home Premier, Broadband EasyStart, Home Surf and ADSL Home. (Please note that Broadband EasyStart, Home Surf and ADSL Home are old products that are no longer on sale to new customers)."

Which implies that I could join Home Premier now http://www.plus.net/products/residential/broadbandhome/ pay a month or so at whatever speed I choose and get upgraded to the £18.99 22GB service for free in April. Do you agree?
N/A

New product availability

You can join Home *Premier* now, but not Home *Surf*.
" Home Surf and ADSL Home are old products that are no longer on sale to new customers)."

So, as the £18.99 option is only for "current Home Surf customers", signing up to Home Premier won't make any difference - it's not available to Home Premier customers.

Assuming that the "Lite" packages don't allow enough for your requirements, it's a case of either £21.99 for Home Premier or wait for the details of Broadband Plus if you think that might suit you. PlusNet haven't given specific prices for Broadband Plus yet, but have said it will be cheaper, so something at £18.99 (or less) is on the cards.

Edit:
Taking your two questions literally, the first of which I omitted to answer earlier:
Are the prices VAT inclusive? - Answer = "Yes"
When will I be able to apply for the £18.99 - 22GB product ? - Answer = "Never"
N/A

New product availability

The reason £18,99 Home Surf is listed, is so those existing customers still on the product, know what fair usage level, there product entitiled them to.
N/A

New product availability

I don't understand QoS etc, I'm just an average broadband user, however with Broadband Plus, does that mean that online radio streaming wouldn't work, or be something they would restrict? Also, I enjoy online gaming and not with a 56k modem and really falling behind, but would I be able to play online my games?

I do'nt use p2p networks like bittorrent so that isn't a problem, I would imagine I could download updates to my games from websites though? :s

thank you Smiley
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

New product availability

Hi,

The QoS are traffic shaping will be used to eithe prioritise or de-prioritise certain types of traffic.

In our implementation web browsing will be nice and quick all the time as they will be the ones prioritised, whereas P2P like BitTorrent and Binary News will be de-prioritised so these will see slow downs during the course of the day. Traffic in the middle like gaming and radio will benefit in that they will rank above P2P within the overall traffic shape and so should give good performance.