Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer 8mb

N/A

New Customer 8mb

Hello,
I am thinking about joining PlusNet but have a few questions:-

My Exchange is suppost to be enabled on March 2006. Is this a guarenteed date?
Also I have a 2mb connection now and the details fromm router is:

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 28,0 / 49,0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 28,0 / 23,0

I have tried that Line Tester to see what speed I can get but can't undertand what to put in. Please can someone tell me what speed I am likely to receive.

Thanks Smiley
15 REPLIES
N/A

New Customer 8mb

My Exchange is suppost to be enabled on March 2006. Is this a guarenteed date?

Hi there and welcome to the forums,

That date is as supplied by BT and is provisional and not set in stone. The majority of exchanges are listed as red with a porvisional date of 31 March 2006.

Whether that happens is purely down to BT.

It is hard to say exactly what speed you will get with maxdsl but if you are getting a stable 2mb connection now it is likely that you will see at least 4mb and probably better but again that depends on BT and the condition of your line.

Hope that helps.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

New Customer 8mb

Using this line tester and putting in your present speed, attenuation down and SNR down gives 8192kb/s so its looking quite promising
N/A

New Customer 8mb

Thank You!
But I struggled to get 2mb due to Line Condition :-D
Community Veteran

New Customer 8mb

You struggled to get 2MB due to the high attenuation which is what BT use as the limit and in fact if you were getting enabled now you would only get 1MB as the limit has been lowered to 43db.
However with this new system they are not considering attenuation at all but margin or signal noise ratio. The limiting value for this is believed to be about 6db. This is where the improvement comes from as it is guessed that each doubling in speed drops the SNR by about 6db
Community Veteran

New Customer 8mb

I might be wrong but I suspect it was the BT database being incorrect as oppossed to your line being in a poor condition. With MaxDSL the BT database is made defunct as you speed is determined in the first 10 days of being on the service by the equipment in the exchange...
Community Veteran

New Customer 8mb

Actually Daniel with an attenuation of 49db there's nothing wrong with the BT database
Community Veteran

New Customer 8mb

Shockedops: that'll teach me to read the OP more carefully!
N/A

New Customer 8mb

Just now been told by AOL I have been moved onto AOL LLU. Phone line has been down all day but internet fine. Why is this?
Community Veteran

New Customer 8mb

Contact BT on 151 for voice line problems.

Contact AOL to find out if what they have done could have caused the problem.
N/A

New Customer 8mb

Ok Problem sorted.. 151 has found a fault and BT was suppost to fix it today but they never. AOL had put my line on LLU now but they said I won't get 8mb for a while. What do they have to do to make the LLU 8mb?

Thanks.
Community Veteran

New Customer 8mb

Did you ask AOL why they could not supply 8Mbs because they are the only ones who will know why? Maybe their equipment in your exchange does not support > 2Mbs speeds yet.
N/A

New Customer 8mb

Thanks for the Reply :-D
AOL are performing upgrade 2mb to 8mb for all Platinum members. Speaking to them is impossible :-P When I ask them about this all I get is "I understand you can't get connected to AOL," which I never said. They are using DSL Max and LLU to perform this upgrade so I am sure their LLU does support 8mb because some exchanges have already been upgraded to 8mb and the AOL users are getting the faster speeds.
So once the line is enabled for LLU what do ISP's have to do to make it 8mb+(upgrade it.)

Best Wishes.
N/A

New Customer 8mb

Sad Been told now my line can only support 2mb Max on LLU even though I am 1.68km away from exchange and the DSL Max checker says 8mb.
Who can I trust?

Best Wishes, Thanks for Helping
Stephen
willhome
Grafter

New Customer 8mb

who told you that?