cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My PLusnet experience

N/A

My PLusnet experience

Hi - I have been with PLusnet for 11 months and I cant wait to leave.

I am too coward to use my login name - but I have had so many problems with dropped connections to lack of internet access.

Then there is the fair usage policy which is just so wrong.

Got NTL coming round to fit a 1MB RELIABLE connection so I am out of here.

Even leaving one month early and paying the broadband connection for the last month becuase I have had enough.

Think about it - it always makes sense to go with a big company like NTL/BT - they will help you when you need it - and they dont push the blame from telephone line supplier to ISP and back again.

I hate complaining but Plusnet, in my experience wont be here to stay for much longer.
10 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

My PLusnet experience

Actually, I have been with NTL prior to Plusnet and I can honestly say I have never come across such poor Customer Service. Technical Support is Premium Rate, emails go unanswered, they don't have an online support ticketing system, and even the Customer Service people are rude enough to hang up on you.

One person I had to speak to regarding a Connection Issue even openly declared how poor their Customer Service was during the conversation.

The representative informed me that they treat their staff like *!@!, and that he was quitting.

NTL, if it works, provide a reliable (allbeit slower - Cable is a lot more Contended) service. Speed aside, if you don't mind never getting the full 1Mb, It's when things go wrong that they do not perform.

In contrast, Plusnet have always been very helpful, and always usually manage to get problems sorted. In my experience. I am sorry to hear you have had problems, have you raised tickets with regards to your issues? Mentioned them on these forums?

Especially with the prospect of 8Mb coming soon, I think you are going to be severely disappointed with NTL. The point of this post is not to try and offend, but give you some warning as to what your getting into. I would recommend moving to another ADSL ISP if you insist you need to move, rather than Cable, and especially not NTL.

Don't be fooled that NTL is unlimited either. They are planning on bringing in Caps on all Services and already have a 1Gb/day Limit on some of their Broadband Packages. They have also been known to throttle back heavy users' connections and warn users that they are using too much bandwidth. This makes the Plusnet FUP a much more attractive deal in my opinion.
N/A

My PLusnet experience

As a fellow NTL escapee who is still dealing with them on behalf of neighbours who are out during the day, I would second that.

If you've made up your mind to go, so be it - but with the exception of Tiscali I cannot think of a decent-sized ISP who are worse than NTL.

As I put it in an e-mail to various friends a few months back, after warning them about the cost of calling my 0845 number from an NTL line:

Frankly, if you are on NTL then you also need your head testing.
<snip of some probably libellous remarks>
If you are not on NTL, but are tempted by all those glossy leaflets that they shove through your door promising free this, free that, free the other - please, please, if you value your sanity, don't do it - you will seriously regret it. If it is your partner, not you, who has the say-so in these matters, and they mention the idea of signing up to NTL, a defence of extreme provocation and mental cruelty should get you off at the murder trial.
LiamM
Grafter

My PLusnet experience

Just to add... look here - http://www.home.ntl.com/icat/broadband

ntl: home 1Mb Broadband is Capped at 3Gb/month.
holdtight
Grafter

My PLusnet experience

Never been with NTL but i know a few that have and still are and the
only word that sums up their experience is appalling Cry
that includes the connections and customer service which is at best laughable,
and i wouldnt rely on BT helping you out unless their going to make
some money out of you and then the help is minimal

DONT DO IT !!

this may be a silly question but have you tried to rectify
any problems you are having through CS or these forums ?
N/A

My PLusnet experience

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Its pretty reassuring that people are out there are posting.

I have tried various different things including a new router, checks on the lines and so forth - (micro filters etc) and they have not worked. To be fair PlusNet were very quick to reply but they basically said I might have to pay £60 if an engineer comes to the house and there is nothing wrong.

I called the NTL technical line this morning to ask about a static IP address and there response was not too bad - quite quick to answer phone too. Its an 0845 number which is pretty cheap but so if Plusnets.

We have phone line and TV with them and they havent been too bad - so Im not sure what to do now.

Its so frustrating when using broadband and the connection drops that I have given up one earlier then the contract to give me peace of mind. NTL is notorious for bad care but I ve never experienced it.

Any concrete examples of what you would worry about when changing to NTL
LiamM
Grafter

My PLusnet experience

The £60 charge refers to the charge that BT will make if they visit your property and find that it's something you have done, or is a problem within your property.

If you are sure that it's a BT problem, then I would go for it, get someone out and get it sorted.

The same would apply to ntl. If they had to send out an engineer and it was your fault, or the problem was within your house, they would charge you for this (can't remember how much OTTOMH.
N/A

My PLusnet experience

I changed to NTL yetserday and so far they have been great.

Very cheap and fast broadband - tech support wasnt slow either - answered pretty much straight away.
N/A

My PLusnet experience

I Wish you well with NTL, but I think it's disapointting that you couldn't post using your user name.

The idea of these forums is to help people, and I sort of feel by doing things in this way, you've not really allowed anyone to help you.
holdtight
Grafter

My PLusnet experience

Agreed ! shame really but there you go
N/A

My PLusnet experience

i dont understand some people.

i wasnt even aware there was a fair usage policy and im not someone who doesn't download!

i suspect it comes down to those that moan are those that get through about 15GB a day.