cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration

N/A

Migration

Hi,
What happens when i give plus net my MAC key ?
How long will it take for me to connect? Few days i.e 10 days ?
will i be online with my old isp until i get disconnected fully and then i have to login with my new details ?
Im wanting to move from Wanadoo to Plusnet :lol: is there any problems within doing this
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Migration

When you give PlsuNet your MAC code. they submit the migration to BT

It takes approx 7 working days to migrate using a MAC code

You will remain on your old ISP until the migration completes, at which time your connection will be dropped and you have to login using PlusNets login/password which you have been given

MAC migrations are still new so we don't really know how well BT will cope with the demand of MAC migrations. Wanadoo have had issues with migrations in the past but hopefully the MAC method will run much better. Wanadoo is on the list of ISPs that support the MAC method of migration.
N/A

Migration

another slight issue with this service is that few ISP's seem to have traied and updated their staff (as lpusnet have) with this new service. i notice on ADSLguide many potential plusnet customers are having difficulties migrating, particularly with AOL, allthough I suspect their "ignorance" is tactical.

good luck with your migration.

Mason
Community Veteran

Migration

The problems stem from the old CBUK method which involves all parties at several points in the migration process and often emails / communications get lost and delays are introduced as a result. It also requires the losing ISP to accept the migration and BT wholesale allow 10 days for this. So often delays of sveral weeks are introduced, even for failed migrations.

The new MAC method does not involve the losing ISP once they have issued the MAC code as it is in effect an authorisation from the losing ISP. This speeds the process up and reduces the likelyhood of lost emails/communications, removed to 10 day reply requrement and requiring the losing ISP to authorise the migration during the process.

So the new MAC method should remove a lot of confusion and delays that the old method had.
N/A

Migration

On this subject, I have just received my MAC code from my present provider. When I get to the section of the PlusNet signup that asks for this code I am informed that the code is invalid. Should I contact my current provider to check this code (could be a long wait in the phone queue though!) or is there an alternative way of checking the validity of the MAC code?

TIA

IH
Community Veteran

Migration

I suggest a phone call to Plusnet support and see if they can accept the code.
If its not valid though you will no doubt have to go back to your existing ISP

PlusNet support is on 0845 1400200
N/A

Migration

Thank you John Cheesy
I phoned support earlier this evening and they kindly checked the MAC code for me and it now appears to be valid. I've completed the migration signup and am looking forward to a new connection with PlusNet

Kind regards

IH

Moderators note (John) Quotation removed as it was a full copy of the previous post which is not required.
Community Veteran

Migration

Good, Im glad its sorted for you. Im sure you will find your connection with PlusNet much better then your existing one.

Well see more of you in the future on these forums no doubt.

PS. don't get too upset with my red note in your reply post. A lot of people tend to use quotes incorrectly at first and just quote the whole of a post before thier reply.
For your own information, and anyone else who reads this, quotes should only be used to show a part of a previous post so that it indicates what part of it you are answering
It is ok to quote it all however if the post is a way back up the thread, or if your reply has gone onto another page. so that the post your replying to is no longer visible.
N/A

Migration

Thanks for the heads up on quotes John. I'll try not to overquote in the future either Smiley

Best wishes

IH