cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make PlusNet connect on windows startup

juliepeez
Grafter

I've just moved to PlusNet from my old dial-up connection and almost everything is going great except for one thing - I'd like it to auto connect as soon as Windows starts up.
I've got it to auto connect in Linux but I can't for the life of me work out how to do it in Windows.
I've tried making a shortcut in the startup folder to the shortcut on the desktop but all that happens is Explorer opens on startup but no connection.
Can anyone advise?
11 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

When Internet Explorer opens, there should be a "Connect Automatically" checkbox. Tick this, then keep the shortcut in the Statup folder.

When Windows starts, it should then connect automatically.

Some modems take a little while to find the connection - so you may find this causes issues with the PC saying no connection is available.
juliepeez
Grafter

That still doesn't work.
It auto-connects if I launch an internet program such as Firefox but it won't auto-connect on windows startup.
craigbrass
Grafter

You can pick up a router from www.ebuyer.com and then connect it to your ethernet connection on your computer. You would then be connected perminantly.
juliepeez
Grafter

There must be some way of connecting on startup without having to go out and buy more hardware.
N/A

Yep, you can add the connection to your list on startup jobs, that way it will automaticaly connected.

All the other methods listed here, will only connect when they think you'll use the service, so will provide some delay to you.
N/A

You can also setup a RAS connection, so when windows launches a DOS window opens and connects you, thats what i did back on Win2K when i got DSL Smiley
Community Veteran

What modem are you using if its a binatone ADSL 500 go to http://192.168.1.2 click Login Settings choose always on then sve the settings.
juliepeez
Grafter

The modem is a BT Voyager 105 USB Modem.
As it turns, adding a shortcut in the startup folder DOES work.
I use a program called SSM and that was automatically blocking the startup entry. I was overriding it and allowing the entry but somehow it was being corrupted.
After disabling SSM and trying the shortcut again, it now works.
N/A

Are you using Windows XP, because i have XP Pro and a shortcut in my startup shortcut but it still doesn't connect on startup only when i launch IE.
juliepeez
Grafter

I'm also on XP Pro. I no longer have it connecting on startup but I think the way I got it working before was to go to Control Panel>Network Connections then right-clicked on the connection and chose to create shortcut which was placed on the desktop.
I then created a shortcut to this shortcut in the startup folder. I didn't always work though.
N/A

cheers i will try that.