cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailboxes

N/A

Mailboxes

How could I be so stupid.

I have this feeling that if I get any more stupid I will (happily) forget how stupid I am.

Thanks for all the great help in sorting out this mess in my mind.

David
5 REPLIES
N/A

Mailboxes

Let assume my username = bloggs and I have set up several mailboxes called box1, box2 etc

My questions are:

(i) To log onto these mailboxes in Webmail I use the username bloggs+box1 (no spaces either side of the +) and the password I originally assigned to that mail box. Why does this not work?

(ii) How can I change the password for these individual mailboxes? Can I do it within the mailbox or must i do it under My Account/Email settings. Which ever I use p[lease explain the method to me.

Please excuse the fact that I am using the forum as a guest but after a recent lengthy holiday abroad I made some mild criticism of one the many perpetual whingers on the forum and got booted off for one month. I will behave much better in future!
N/A

Re: Mailboxes

(i) To log onto these mailboxes in Webmail I use the username bloggs+box1 (no spaces either side of the +) and the password I originally assigned to that mail box. Why does this not work?

That's the correct way of doing it. How long after creating the mailbox did you try to login? The creation process can sometimes take upto 24 hours (although it's usually done in about 30 minutes), so it might be worth waiting until this period is up before trying. If it still doesn't work, raise a link:contact us ticket.

(ii) How can I change the password for these individual mailboxes? Can I do it within the mailbox or must i do it under My Account/Email settings. Which ever I use p[lease explain the method to me.

Password changes must be done through the portal.
[list=1]
  • Goto Email settings, and click "Configure Mailboxes".
  • On the next page, press the "Edit" box next to the mailbox for which you want to change the password
  • Enter the new password and press submit.[/listShocked]I'm not too sure if there's a time delay on the password change, but it's probably worth allowing 24 hours for this to take effect.
  • N/A

Mailboxes

Many thanks for the prompt and very helpful reply.

I tried entering my mailboxes using Webmail for the first time abut 1 month or so after setting them up.

The reason I cannot enter them could be due to the fact that I am using the wrong password, hence my question about changing the password.
    N/A

Mailboxes

I obviously don't understand mailboxes.

When I went to My Account/Email settings/Configure Mailboxes and then clicked Edit next to the relevant mailbox I was shown a page with just one item on it referring specifically to my mailbox.

A box showed me that the mail had been redirected to another address.

There was no mention of a password or how to change it.

I got fed up and deleted the mail box and then set it up again.

This time when I went to My Account/Email settings/Configure Mailboxes and then clicked Edit next to the relevant mailbox I was again shown a page with just one item on it referring specifically to my mailbox.

This time however the box displayed was a means of changing the password.

I then found that I could enter my mailboxes OK via Webmail.

It would appear that redirecting a mailbox locks it so that it cannot be viewed via Webmail nor can the password be accessed.

Can anyone explain this weird (to me) behaviour and point me to any relevant info on this topic displayed on the Plusnet website?
    N/A

Mailboxes

Basically, what you had was not a mailbox - it was a redirect. This allows you to have any mail sent to the address you define redirected to any other address. Because this is not a proper mailbox, you wouldn't be able to login to webmail with it.

However, you can delete the redirect, as you did. Once this is done, a proper mailbox can be created and accessed via webmail.

The Email Help Pages have further information on mailboxes and redirects.