cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for some help on which Broadband i need.

N/A

Hello, im looking for the best setup for me and something called a sister, I play online games and she downloads music etc. We both have comps and want to know how we can get them both online at the same time and would we be able to split the connection so she does lag me and get me killed(

thx.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

First, you need a router to connect the 2 PCs together which in turn connects to your phone line. You can either connect the 2 PCs via EThernet cable to the router or go for a wireless connection which will require one of both PCs being fitted with a wireless card and the router supporting a wireless connection.

For a wired setup use the netgear DG834, for wireless use the DG843G or 834GT and a suitable wireless card supporting 802.11g 54Mbs speeds.

As for lag in games, there is little you can do to stop your sisters PC downloading P2P from affecting your connection as you will both have equal priority over the connection. If she saturates the connection you will not get very far.

As for the product, it depends on how much P2P is being done. If this is a lot then a premier account is needed. If it is occational then a broadband plus account may be suitable, but this does limit P2P traffic during busy periods and gives a higher priority to web/email and games, although games are a lower priority than web/email but higher than P2P.
N/A

So on the setup i choose 4- Port Router and that will connect the 2 computers? and do i need a modem aswell?

thx, sorry for noob questions
N/A

It wont matter too much if your sister is downloading while your are enjoying time on a sever as your quality of connection relies mainly on your upload speed.
Community Veteran

You need a combined modem/router. The ones I specified are such units.
N/A

Sorry, more questions. So ill need to buy combined modem/router from this site or go to a shop? then on the setup for broadband premier i can select the "no hardware" option?

thx again
Community Veteran

PlusNet only supply the Binatone 2100 (cable only) or BT voyager 2100 (wireless) devices (details here) but you can get both cheaper elsewhere. I would still recommend the netgear units I detailed earlier as they are better overall in my opinion. Look at www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk for various devices and costs. e.g. Netgear DG832v2 (which I use) and Netgear DG834Gv2.

If you purchase your hardware elsewhere just select the no hardware option when signing up.