cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does usage payments work.

N/A

PAYGO how does the billing work? (on PLUS right now but may change)

If I know that I normally use 4Gb per month do I just select that up front and pay my £3 extra (1Gb included + 3Gb).

If I don't use the whole amount does it carry over, do I get a refund? Or does it dissapear?

What happens if I use more than the 4Gb per month I've selected. Does my service STOP working during peak hours meaning its impossible for me to connect to top up or does it auto top up anyway at the more expensive rate. Can I opt to NOT auto top up?

Eg I am worried that if someone hacks my wifi connection and downloads 100Gb through my connection without my permission will I get a bill for 100*£1.25 (and go bankrupt) or will my service just stop working once it reaches the 4Gb I paid for. Can I change which will happen? Eg am I in control of my maximum monthly bill?

Anyone out there like to help please. Perhaps someone from F9 could answer this, actually this should really be on a FAQ page.
4 REPLIES
orrery
Grafter

I am worried that if someone hacks my wifi connection

Have you set up encryption (WEP etc) on your WiFi access point and have you restricted access by MAC address?

If so, relax.

I'm on PAYG, and it appears that you get an email as you go through your limit and get charged for the next 1GB slug.

regards, Ian
N/A

ok so it does auto top up.

as for WEP and MAC address:

Well WEP can easily be hacked and MAC addresses can easily be spoofed.

It is a well known fact that WEP is not as secure as you would want it and can be hacked. Even the new WPA-PSK (which changes keys every packet) is also not the best. The only totally secure is WPA-PSK with a radius certificite server.

However in practise this is quite unlikely to happen as you do need special software to do it.

I guess I'm just very paranoid.
orrery
Grafter

Well WEP can easily be hacked and MAC addresses can easily be spoofed.

Got enemies in MI6, have you?

In any case, I'd take issue with your use of the word "easily".

Of course security isn't perfect and WEP doesn't have the best of reputations, but anyone living within 10 meters of your house is likely to have their own broadband connection if they are capable of hacking either.

You could take on any of my three access points and hack them, but you wouldn't bother because all the other access points in the area are completely open, so why would you bother?

regards, Ian
quelquod
Rising Star

Re: How does usage payments work.

PAYGO how does the billing work? (on PLUS right now but may change)

If I know that I normally use 4Gb per month do I just select that up front and pay my £3 extra (1Gb included + 3Gb).

If I don't use the whole amount does it carry over, do I get a refund? Or does it dissapear?

What happens if I use more than the 4Gb per month I've selected. Does my service STOP working during peak hours meaning its impossible for me to connect to top up or does it auto top up anyway at the more expensive rate. Can I opt to NOT auto top up?

Yes, you just decide up front how much you want to pay monthly.
If you don't use your prepaid allocation it is lost (doesn't roll over).
If you go over your limit you get an email and an automatic increment to the next 1Gb at the higher rate. This happens at each 1Gb increment.
See this page:
https://portal.f9.net.uk/data_transfer_watch/
for details of how to voluntarily cap your usage (not tried it myself though).

Hope that helps.
Bob
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!