cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Had enough of Tiscali. A few questions about PlusNet now

N/A

Im considering chucking Tiscali's awful service and moving to Plusnet's broadband Plus package.

However, I would like to know:

1) When the "busy periods" typically are
2) What will be capped, ie IRC/P2P/Newsgroups/HTTP Downloads etc
3) How severe the caps will be, ie what the typical speeds are during these periods

Thanks in advance. Smiley
4 REPLIES
N/A

I'd go for the permier package - 21.99 for upto 2MB uncapped isn't expensive IMHO...
N/A

Yeah....... thats really helpful..... :S. I do not download that much so paying for the Premier package would not really benefit me. i would just like to know how slow my downloads will be from certain sources when i actually do choose to download something, and what times these slow-downs will occur at....
N/A

The busy times on the network will vary... but I've not noticed much difference in the last few months - alot will depend on the contention on your DSLAM etc.

As to download limits etc it depends on your package, Pay as you go and permier aren't subject to traffic shapping where as BB+ is. Pay as you go limits you to what ever amount you've brought up front and permier is unlimited (I'd suspect there probably is alimit of something like 50GB or something equally daft Wink )

The BB+ product is traffic shapped during busy periods to ensure normal traffic (http,email etc) has priority... exactly how much effect this has I'm unsure about as I'm on BB permier so not experienced it myself.
N/A

I've had Gio Internet and Freeserve before they became Wanadoo. I signed up with PlusNet Premier 512k at £22.00 a month since February. PlusNet are brilliant, I cannot recommend them enough to my friends. There is no visible busy period and I've downloaded any time day or night. The website is spot on.
You can easily monitor your usage and I download 20-30Gb most months which I find is ample for what I ever want. Sleep peacefully at night without grief with PlusNet. I dont' know what happens if you are a heavy user at 200Gb a month. Similarly, waiting for our free upgrades to 2mg is becoming a little tiresome, but I am still getting the great service I originally paid for.
NO, I DON'T WORK FOR PLUSNET, I WORK FOR HSBC.