cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General advice

N/A

General advice

am a web developer working from home. I am currently using NTLWorld and BT Openworld which is a total of £31.99 a month for the 2 dial ups. I have two because of the poor reliability, when one is down I use the other.

My line seems to be valid for a 512kbps asdl line, I am too far from an exhange for anything faster, but 512 will do me just fine.

I have an iBook as well as 3 PC's, I only really need to connect with my iBook and my Windows XP.

I am considering the Home Worker package for £24.99 a month. What I need advice with is what hardware to get. I have no idea what I need, but I need to be able to connect with my iBook and my Windows XP machine but its not esential to be connected at the same time.

I can not afford to waste time with modem problems and incompatibility issues (looking at this forum there appear to be a few problems with modems).

So what hardware do I need, if a Plus Net staff member or anyone else could let me know the best choice I will sign up and order.

Thanks

Pete Hawkes
6 REPLIES
N/A

General advice

I've signed up anyway, lets just hope the support ticket system is faster than this forum!
Community Veteran

General advice

You have to be patient sometimes as people are not always around, including support staff, especially when you post during the day when many are at work.

For your requirements you need to get something like a Netgear DG834 or origo ASR8400. Both have an inbuilt ADSL modem, 4 port switch, router and SPI firewall. You then need network cards for those PCs that don't have an ethernet port and the necessary cables.

You then just connect your iBook to it, set it so the ibook requests it's IP address from the router using DHCP (and set the other PCs up to do the same) and you should be up and running in no time.

If you have PCs that you can't connect via an Ethernet cable then you could go the wireless route (DG834G or Linksys WAG54G) and get wireless cards for the PCs that are remote.
N/A

General advice

Thanks for the reply. Which is better the Netgear or Linksys wireless router? I am going for the wireless versions due to my iBook.

What is the usual time before BT let you know whether my line is ASDL approved? Just wondered what the reality was rather than the standard Smiley

Am I correct in assuming I can be online with my iBook and my PC, but obviously speed will be split between the two?
Community Veteran

General advice

No idea which is better as I haven't used either. They are 2 of the most common versions around so try doing a search to find references and see what others have said here.

Approval usually takes between 7 and 10 days. The line test is usually done reasonable early in that timeframe but it could be later and PN will be told if your line can take ADSL or not who in turn will tell you. Just keep an eye on the ADSL tracker under Connection settongs (on the left) for progress. Sometimes BT will activate your line a few days earlier.

WARNING: Do not purchase any equipment until you have actually been activated. Several people have bought kit thinking things will be OK and BT have failed the line due to noise or line loss. Even up to the 10th day it can still be rejected.

Both of the routers mentioned will allow your ADSL line to be shared by up to 4 devices connected locally via Ethermet and any number up to a total of 251 via wireless.
N/A

General advice

I'll hold off ordering the hardware, I do live in a village type location about 4 mile from the main exchange so it would not surprise me if my line is not ASDL approved despite BT site suggesting it is for 512kbps, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I've done research on both routers and both have mixed reviews but generally Linksys seem to have a better reputation.

Thanks for your help.

Pete
jberry
Grafter

General advice

Hi Pete,

We do try to get back to customers in these forums as soon as possible but we had most of the team on Holiday yesterday so I did not get everything done Sad

Anyway, back to your original post, we do not recomend any specific hardware beyond what we sell (because if we recomend third party equipment people get the impression that we are able to support the hardware fully - when in fact it is impossible to support every type of ADSL router (and by support I mean give help setting it up rather than it working with our ADSL).

If you go for any known manufacturer then you will be OK, and there are reviews of hardware on ADSLGuide if you want an independant review.

Regards,