cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake emails

N/A

Fake emails

As well as masses of junk email I have just started receiving emails that seem to be responses from the Mail Delivery System saying that an email I have sent could not be delivered. The email attached to the return is a SPAM email and definitely not one that I have sent.
Is someone else using my account to send SPAM or have they just stolen my email address to use as their return address?
4 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

Fake emails

This is most likely just going to be additional spam reaching your default mailbox. If these are all coming in address to something-random@your-address then what you can do is create mailboxes for the addresses you do use and then raise a ticket through to support and have everything else deleted automatically.
N/A

Fake emails

But does this mean that people around the world are getting SPAM apparently from my account, and I am just seeing the returns of failed emails?
JonathanW
Grafter

Fake emails

Its unlikely that anyone else is receiving spam that appears to be coming from you, but as with anything there is a small possibility. Though unfortunately, there is little that can be done to prevent someone else pretending to send as yourself.
N/A

Fake emails

Thanks Jon.

I'm now sure the world is being swamped with emails that seem to be from me. I have now received lots of this sort of reply and am starting to receive 'out of office replies' as well.

What now concerns me is that my email address will now start getting blocked by SPAM filters and so people that I email may not get my emails.

I suppose I'll just have to change my account name.