cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failure of F9 to connect broadband

N/A

Ticket no. 17271843

Can anyone please help me to resolve why I am unable to have the working broadband connection I have paid F9 to provide.

It is now one month since the connection was supposed to have been made, and although my DSL moden is permanently training I cannot get a connection.

I have carried out every test F9 have asked me to and have also requested that F9 organise BT to do a full test to the connection in the house (and i will pay if BT prove it is not their fault) but i am still waiting for either BT to contact me to arrange the test or F9 to contact me to explain what is happening.

I am not a happy bunny as you can imagine when i recieve notification that F9 are taking another £14.99 from my bank account tomorrow and still I have no service)

Can some one please help sort this out?
:!:
Cry
Heather
11 REPLIES
N/A

That's not on.... they should not have started charging you for service until BT had confirmed that your connection was working.

If f9 and BT both think they are providing a service then you could chance a call to 151 and ask the BT operator to test your line.

If you have normal analogue phone (voice) service on the same line (and is working), and if your ADSL modem is never syncronising with the exchange (the light should stop flashing when it syncronises depending on your model) then it sounds like ADSL has not been correctly provisioned on your line by the BT engineer who did the job at your telephone exchange.
N/A

Breach of consumer contract NOT providing said service,Ivan

Hello,

NOP!!! sadly your completely wrong BT WONT repeat WONT test your line even if your voice service IS with BT, but as your internet service is NOT provided by BT they wont help you (BT Openworld & BT Yahoo customers get priority). your welcome to try of course!! :roll:

Yes! correct you used to be able to contact BT's DSL team once apon a time and they would try and help you but that was about 2 years back, now you will just get the standard VERY annoying BT speak!! Oh! you will have to go back to your providor for that sir/madam.

Heather,
**Actually IMO if you really want to give F9 PlusNet & BT a kick up the back side then try a quick call to your local trading standards office should help. F9 & BT are technically in breach of your contract with them as a customer as they have failed to provide the service a) by the due date and b) the service is NOT fit for the purpose c) you NOT getting a service but they have taken funds and thats definately in breach on T&C's. Get Trading standards to contact F9 Plusnet & BT on your behalf if at all possible.

**NOTE: Keep any documentation you have, make a note of phones calls & there times & dates, and summarise the details & outcomes,etc.

**Contact F9 & BT and inform them of your intentions to take the issue to trading standards and that if they dont resolve the situation within 14 working days notice you will be happy to terminate your contract with them as they are in breach of contract for NOT providing a service (service level agreements or not!! see what reaction that gets you??) :lol:

Ivan
N/A

Re: Breach of consumer contract NOT providing said service,I

Hello,
NOP!!! sadly your completely wrong BT WONT repeat WONT test your line even if your voice service IS with BT,

I wasn't really thinking that you should ask 151 to fix the ADSL, I was thinking about getting them to do a line quality check without mentioning that you have ADSL. If there are any issues therer then it will have knock on implications for the ADSL too....I've had success doing this, just don't mention you're having problems with ADSL, you're only concerned about audio quality :-)

But your quite right, I never really made that clear, and is perhaps not relevant to Heathers situation, and I did just say it might be worth a chance in a desperate situation :-)
N/A

Replying Ivan

Hi glasstower,

Yep! I agree with you, its worth a try especially if its free of charge. A line quality test might still show up noise on the line,etc. But I'm still not entirely sure how that would actually help with an ADSL problem though. As broadband uses x2 seperate channels on the same line & if your splitter is working correctly the uplink & downlink shouldnt interfere with your voice channel. So I'm still not sure how a line test on voice would help but still might worth try?? after all you have nothing to loose.

Ivan
N/A

you can actually log a fault on BT's website and track the progress.

Usually if there is a fault even with the voice side, this will more or less affect the adsl side.

This happened to me, after BT messed with the telegraph pole outside my house, I got interference on my voice calls, and most times unable to make calls properly. BT then done some checks and found some faults on the line. Once sorted my ADSL was fixed as well.

regards
mike
N/A

BT & Faults again Yawn yawn!!! Ivan

Hi Mike,

no criticism just crurious!
you can actually log a fault on BT's website and track the progress.
but for future reference only, Like HOW do you log the fault with BT and does that include ADSL faults or are we talking strictly voice faults only??

**My experience and also many forum f9 users have had VERY slow and painful experience with BT getting anything ADSL related fixed or sorted out. 1) BT insist on & enforce a strict 13 question testing from other ISP's such as F9 before they will grudgingly accept the fault might just might be BT's 2) Even once logged with BT's fault system it can take them ages & ages to finally fix a problem.

**BT Definately do give a higher priority to BTOpenworld & BT Yahoo customers so F9 and all other ISP's faults get lower priority and hence take longer to fix I suspect.

Ivan
N/A

Re: BT & Faults again Yawn yawn!!! Ivan

HOW do you log the fault with BT and does that include ADSL faults or are we talking strictly voice faults only?Huh

When I have had problems with my adsl line previously, I have logged a voice fault with BT through their website, don't ever mention adsl or that will be the end of the fault finding. Initially BT carry out some tests on your line to identify if the fault lies in the exchange, the green box or on the customer's property. Every time I have logged a fault it has shown a problem in the green box. BT then take your email address and mobile phone number, if you want to give it, for updates. Usually the problem has been fixed the next day and I receive a courtesy text saying the problem has been solved.

Regards

Mark
N/A

Replying Ivan

Hi Mark,

Nice one!! that sounds like a VERY VERY good approach & as you have proved it actually works too that pretty good. BT's normal internet fault fixing process is abysmal and slow (and BTOpenworld & BTYahoo customer get priority over other ISP customers such as us here at F9). Yes! I can see your right any mention of either ADSL or Broadband and BT wouldnt be seen for dust (like the proverbal hare disappearing over the horizon before you can say jack flash!!). I think you have to play BT at there own stupid game to get any decent fault fixing service but its a pain and why should anyone have to do this, and have to do this this way?

Many Thanks Ivan
N/A

Hi Mark,
Yes! I can see your right any mention of either ADSL or Broadband and BT wouldnt be seen for dust n

My guess is this is because most non-techie people who are ringing up to report a fault are probably just having problems with the configuration of IT/computer equipment which has nothing to to with the phisical telephone connection to the exchange. (or at least that's probably what they are assuming)

That just makes life difficult for those of us that know what we're doing and we know exactly where the fault is, but they don't believe us because to them we're all just "stupid customers" that know nothing about technology.

When I used to be with BT Broadband, (I was an early adopter and you could only get it from BT in the early days) I once had a technical problem with DNS lookups failing, I had tracked down the problem myself and I had identified exactly which of their servers/routers had failed... I phoned up to report the fault and explianed exactly where the fault was on their network and how I'd diagnosed it..... even gave them the IP address of their faulty equipment, but they wouldn't trust me and they were sure there was no fault on their network "Because nobody else had reported it"... they forced me to go through an endless series of checklists and procedures of dismantling my equipment and re-installing drivers.... and then finally after being on the phone with them for over an hour they finally admitted the fault must be on thier network and found it to be exactly what I told them it was at the beginning of the phone call.... they hadn't even considered the possibility of the fault being theirs until every combination of it being my fault had been eliminated.
N/A

Hi Mark,

Well what can I say but I think your comments are entirely right, its just infurating that BT force the customer to go through these painfully logical fault finding and fault elimination process before finally accepting that Yes! there really is a problem! and Yes! it really is with BT equipement or service BEFORE they will take or accept any responsability.

**YES! I also agree with what your saying about non technically aware people, yes! BT are probably used to talking to numtee's but there again some of BT's own staff could also be described as numtee's too. Its such a shame that telecoms in this entire country is in the hands of such a dinasaure of a company, a company who doesnt deserve to have almost a total strangle hold on the UK telecoms for internet services.

Ivan
N/A

Still, its the governments fault. They blocked BT so that cable could get extablished but they failed miserably by then allowing the cable companies to buy each other out. The instant that happened they stopped expanding their network coverage so theres people like me stuck in between cabled areas with only BT available as an option for broadband.

The local telephone exchange im connected to for example IS in a cabled area, in fact the other half of the street is but that was just before Telewest took over Yorkshire Cable.