cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explorer bringing up page not found error

N/A

Hi, I have recently moved to broadband with Plusnet and I am very impressed. However in the last few days I have noticed that when I click on a link either from google or a web site it often comes up with a page not found error, if I click on refresh or F5 the page comes up ok.

This is a bit frustrating and I am reasonably competent with IT so it is not a newby question (I dont think).

Anyway has anyone any suggestions on how to correct this annoying problem.

Richard
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Try adjusting your MTU and RWIN values. See MTU tweak
N/A

Thanks for the info - I have used Dr. TCP to change the values to 63272 for the recieve and an MTU of 1478 - and it "appears" to have helped although I am still having the problem - it looks like a time out issue with the browser. I should have stated that this occurs mainly when I right click and open up in new window after bringing back search results in Yahoo etc.

Richard
Community Veteran

That RWIN value is a bit too high. try 17256 for 512K, double it for 1Mb and triple it for 2Mb.
N/A

changed settings to reflect 2MB connection

I have changed the settings as suggested, however it has not solved the problem. I does appear to have increased the speed of the download of other pages though - so thanks.

I will have a look to see if the same problem is occurring with other problems and get back to the forum if it is simply Explorer 6 issue or something to do with my router/firewall.

Thanks again - and yes I do like my Plusnet broadband - after years of being on a 56K dialup its great.
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

You could try another browser (firefox for example) and try with your firewall disabled (temporarily and for testing purposes of course) just in case.

You might also want to try alternative DNS if this is not happening all the time. The addresses you should try are:

Primary: 212.159.6.9
Secondary: 212.159.6.10

Regards,
N/A

Changing the DNS servers fixed it

Hi, thanks for the message re DNS - that has fixed the problem I am pleased to say as I was getting a bit frustrated at having to click the referesh / F5 key for every 6-7 website I visited.

Thanks again

Richard