19 REPLIES
N/A

Downside of migrating

I'll be joining you in here next week.
Perhaps we can liven it up a bit Wink
sputty
Grafter

Downside of migrating

Hmm I can still post in the main forum, strange that aint it, I think I know why though but I won't say (Makes no odds thinking about it I have a second account as well, so I could always use that one to post).

I must say <N> have no packet loss VERY VERY low ping times for me 15-21ms to London based game servers and all seems fast and stable, are you both on/moving to <N> as well? or the big Z?

Mods I understand you may remove the implied ISP's
N/A

Downside of migrating

The whole thread may be removed as it is completely OT but hey Cheesy
Yerp, Solstans is also with them and all being well so will I from next week.
N/A

Downside of migrating

Sorry - only just been able to post again...

My l8nc graph is showing very few unexplainable packet losses (the high times on yesterday's graph was down to me hogging my bandwidth pulling both the x86 and x86_64 versions of FC5...

Anyway, the only d/side to <n> is the lack of forums other than ADSLGuide.

If I'd got the spare bandwidth on my website I'd stick one up but at the moment my site keeps maxing out each month Wink
avalon
Grafter

Downside of migrating

Plusnetters has a forum for ex-Plus customers here
N/A

Downside of migrating

I know...

solstans == arimus

Solstans is our cattery prefix, and Arimus is my more usual handle on the 'net (dates back to 94 in Uni playing Farside at all hours and various rpg's)
N/A

Downside of migrating

And as I wait for Plusnet's billing systems to catch up with the fact of my migration to a<N>other ISP I may be seen in here unless I find something else to do.

Curiously, I seem to have downloaded more in the last five days than I have done on Plusnet. in many months. Perhaps that is an indication of the inhibiting effect of such low caps on Plusnet? And no Linux iso's yet.Grin.
N/A

Downside of migrating

I successfully migrated to the big N during the night (that sounds almost sordid) and am now synced at 8128/448kbps Cheesy I'm not having problems with being capped at my previous 2Mbps limit, I'm not having packetloss, ping spikes or latency problems and am generally a very happy bunny. (Well, except for the outstanding problems with PlusNet repeatedly screwing up my domain move).

I'm going to miss the forums here and those who frequent them though Sad I don't think PlusNutters(sic) will ever quite have the same feel, but will be lurking over there for a while. And also here for as long as I can Smiley
N/A

Downside of migrating

Lucky you, sietchtabr. I migrated on the 27th. Synched at 8128/448kbps but throughput appears to still be capped. I did everything according to the book: switched off the router all day before migration date, yet no speed increase yet. From what I've read elsewhere I suspect my nice stable connection has meant that Rambo is sleeping on my line. I'm waiting for the third day without a router reboot (yep, tried the BT speedtester), when I will talk to the ISP about them resetting my profile.

But I know what you mean. No odd latency problems, and my router hasn't had a hissy fit once since Thursday...
N/A

Downside of migrating

I didn't do anything by the book. Got in from an afternoon drinking beer and listening to a blues band, randomly tried to connect with my new username and password but initially failed to do so so went back to PlusNet. I couldn't sleep so tore down the line a few times and fiddled, suddenly realised it was synced faster, mucked about trying to use the new login again and bang, it was all fine. (Once I'd changed my NAT tables which were still using my old static IP).

I haven't managed to get any transfers above about 600kbps, which would seem to tie in with what is currently reported as my maximum speed in the Nildram control panel. I expect this to stabilise over the coming week.

But I have now been locked out of the main forum and the force9 DNS servers still think they're the main authority for the domain name I removed over a week ago, so it's not all good Wink
N/A

Downside of migrating

It's now been two weeks since my original request to have the domain removed from PlusNet. It's taken two tickets, 7 members of staff (including members of the network team) and I've been incorrectly told the domain has been removed 4 times. Two days ago Jon Whiting stepped in an re-escalated my ticket (Jon is one of the few who've been fantastic throughout all this by the way) but still nothing has been done.
This level of support and the fact that my connection has been great since migrating kindof make up for the lack of ability to post on the rest of these forums Wink It's amazing how Plusnet can still cause you annoyance even when you've left!
N/A

Downside of migrating

They've done it!

As i posted over on plusnetters:

Q. How many members of PlusNet staff does it take to remove a domain from the DNS servers?
A. So far 7... (and two weeks and two tickets).

Final answer is also 7, as some people responded to my tickets multiple times. I still think that copies of this should be distributed amongst staff though Wink
N/A

Downside of migrating

When I was thinking of changing a few weeks back, I was looking at N******'s packages and was basically after all the "upto" maxDSL products with whatever usage allowances they had on offer (I wanted to migrate in like-for-like on maxDSL) But their packages were so confusing I just closed the window and let my MAC expire :roll:
I still think that copies of this should be distributed amongst staff though Wink

You're treading a fine line there... Wink
N/A

Downside of migrating

I found the comparison table of products and usage limits a lot clearer than PlusNet's and it's just been updated (in appearance and usability not in content)

I may be treading a fine line, but I fear I'm not far form the truth Wink
I got the distinct impression from those I was in contact with that they didn't understand DNS let alone their own systems, including when speaking to the networks team staff. Some of the things they said were farcical not to mention incorrect. And since I've moved to pastures green I've seen reports of it happening to others, so the issue obviously hasn't been cleared up as it should have been or as I suggested.

Step 1 - Fix the broken tool
Step 2 - Perform an audit of the DNS servers for stale records