cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does a fixed ip really matter?

N/A

Got my MAC code today and am still trying to decide between BB+ and PAYG. Will BB+ also benefit from the speed upgrades? I see it is worded slightly differently than the PAYG.

Cheers

Mark
12 REPLIES
N/A

For migrating back to F9 I have two options. BB PAYG at £14.99pm + £1 per GB over the 1GB allocation and a static ip, or BB Plus which offers £14.99pm with no extra charges (I am a light user anyway, no more than 2GBpm) which gives me a dynamic ip. The only other big difference is that PAYG has a 250MB webspace allowance where the BB+ only has 100MB. As my site is hosted elsewhere, this isn't a problem.

Back to the main question. Is a static ip of any importance if I am not running my own mailserver? It will be a pain in the ar*se finding a way for my script to filter out my visits but.....

I look forward to your answers.

Mark
N/A

I find it useful for running services on my machine which I can access from external sources, although thats possible with services like dyndns.org, but if you're not using them then theres no real benefit... apart from maybe filtering your visits to your website.
N/A

Hello Mark,

OK! no matter which actual product you end up with its going to be ADSL or Broadband. From a purely financial point of view a PAYG BB service will obviously be less pain on the pocket. And if you dont need large amounts of website space thats also an advantage.

IP ADDRESSING: Fixed IP, the value of the IP being static or fixed is that its abit like having a permanent (almost permanent) telephone number, i.e. its yours whilst you remain an F9 customer. It does make life abit easier when it comes to setting up your own internet connection as you will know your own IP address. A fixed IP can also help when it comes to troubleshooting network problems with your connection as others can ping your IP to see how it responds. A static IP gives you an almost permanent WAN presence but normally if your on ADSL this will be hidden behined a firewall of some kind.

Dynamic or DHCP assigned IP addressing, given the same example as above, this is like your telephone number changing each time when you come to make a phone call. So you wont actually know what IP address that your connection has been assigned if the IP is dynamic (well not unless your clever enough to know where & how to find that information). Each time you dialup to get an internet connection your IP will probably change, dynamic IP address are given lease durations which are then renewed. With dynamic IP address there is the potential for more to technically go wrong & diagnosis might become abit more complicated. DHCP assigned IP's have been used bye ISP's for many years now since modem & dialup connections were first seen.

**If you do intend to run a webserver or mailserver on a box at home for example then I think you only really have one realstic option and this is a fixed IP otherwise you will make it almost impossible for other people to locate you or users wanting to visit your webserver or site or send mail to you. I'd personally go for a fixed IP every time no question about it definitely makes life easier.

Hope this might be useful? Best Regards Ivan
N/A

Broadband Plus is sold by Speed, rather than usage.

So when 8Mb Speeds are available, Broadband PAYG users will able to take advantage of these for the same monthly cost, but will still only be able to download a set amount of data.

With Broadband Plus, Upto 2Mb (whatever your line can support up to 2Mb) is £14.99 for an unmetered, but restrictive connection. In the advent of MaxDSL and higher speeds, you will then have to upgrade to a higher priced product to take advantage of higher speeds than 2Mb.
N/A

Some additional info (hope this helps):

As I understand it, you can 'access' your computer by name (DNS?) without knowing your IP using
<username>.force9.co.uk
(similar to your webspace but without the www. bit)

For example:
ping quorn.force9.co.uk
would ping my PC whatever my IP

Dynamic IPs also provide better security as potential hackers will not know the system behind an IP address but providing you have a good firewall this is not a major issue.

For dial-ups (as I am on), certain features are only available to Static IP and so I have this but overall it doesn't matter greatly unless you particularly need to know your IP.

Good luck with your decision

Ian
N/A

IP Address

Hi,

Thats NOT totally true though, because if your a broadband user and are connected to the internet using a router which has NAT (network address translation or port forwarding) hackers or attackers Yes! will see your WAN fixed IP address but they wont know who or what is behined the router. With this system there could be just 1 computer or 1,000 computers behined the routers single public facing IP address. A dynamic IP is just a different way of working its NOT better or worse its just different.

**As I explained previously the way I tend to think of this is, is in telephone number terms. With dynamic IP your phone line gets a different phone number each time you make a phone call so nobody knows your number. Fixed IP means your phone line has a constant phone number which doesnt change.

**I wouldnt say one IS more secure than the other just different both have pro's & con's. Its far more about which kind of IP assignment suits your personal needs.

Ivan

----------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
Force9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
N/A

Re: Does a fixed ip really matter?

Back to the main question. Is a static ip of any importance

This really is one of the rare questions where the answer truly is....

.. If you need to as you ask you don't need to know.

Cheesy
N/A

Dont Get it?? Can you explain!! I must be getting old

Hi,

Durrr!!!! Must be missing something here!! Dont get that sorry!!! must be getting old, Ooo Errr!! you young people with your funny words!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ivan
N/A

Nothing to get really.

Think about it like this.

At the point where you want to run your own web site or mail server or whatever you need to encounter DNS. At that point the importance of a fixed IP address becomes apparent.

If you don't want to publish any web services from home then you really don't need to know.

That's all Smiley
N/A

Hummm!!!

OOhh!! OK that kinda makes more sense! Cool
N/A

But web services only mean Remote Desktop or other ways of controlling your home PC from anywhere on the Internet (so long as you have the right software to login).

A fixed IP is very useful if you spend time away from home and want to check your e-mail actually ON YOUR PC rather than via webmail. Or if you are away and want to start something downloading.

Personally I find a static IP essential as if im away from home and I need a file I have at home I can just FTP it over. Or even better, I can download new videos/music to my PSP whereas otherwise id have to be at home to do that.

Also if you plan to host games between friends a static IP means you can do that without having to connect to master servers, meaning they dont have to search for you in a list they just enter your IP or domain name and connect.

Often when my friends buy as new CD they just send the MP3s over for me to listen to and I neednt even be at the PC at the time as they just FTP them over to my uploads folder.

So many different uses......
N/A

I'd just like to point out something else which has potentially been missed..

Although static IPs, yes, are generally used when running things such as your own mail server, they have another use, remote security.

I'm a Network Administrator of an IRC (Internet Relay Chat) Network, and for security reasons, my operator access is guarded not only by my relevant username / password, but also my IP. Because it's static, regardless of whether someone manages to get my password, unless they are using my connection, they have no way of using the privs, or even getting them. (Where as, if i were static, i'd have to include an IP range, thus another F9 user with the password can gain access).