cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnections - advice on broadband vs dialup?

N/A

Hi folks

I was all set to go for Broadband plus until I read of all your disconnection (and other) problems - two thirds have been disconnected in the past 5 days! I have been on dial up for years and years with never a disconnection and prefer that to not being able to get online. Given that being able to connect anytime is my priority, who would you guys recommend signing up with for broadband or stick with dial up?

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks
11 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Two thirds have been disconnected in 5 days?

I've only ever once have my connection drop and that was BT fiddling at the exchange. And another time where my ADSL went down for an evening, also BT fiddling somewhere on their network.

By far, Broadband far outperforms dialup and you will NEVER go back once you take the step forward. I would definately go for it.

Start off on a BB+, if you need P2P and newgroups, then go up to Premier... but I'd start off on BB+ and see if it's for you first.

In my opinion it's a fantastic package, and ideal for users just taking the step onto broadband.
N/A

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not sure what you mean by 2/3 rds have been disconnected in the last 5 days.

That is not the case.

Disconnects, where loss of synch occurs is not down to the isp. It is either the customers equipment, internal wiring or a BT problem.

Short of routine maintenance carried out, my router stays connected for thousands of hours at a time.

Disconnects are not common and out of @ 115,000 customers I would hazard a guess that the percentage is very low.

If a customer is experiencing disconnect, there is a mechanism in place to identify the cause and get BT to fix it.

Hope that clears up the confusion.
N/A

Im getting a poor connection time usually a few hours but the odd time, when Ive got a mates modem the connection gets to over a day.

The tests show a recent 2 day ongoing connection. If the connections are in order of hours / days then there is no issue. ADSL is a PPP / dialup service and whilst the idea is that it stays conencted all of the time this may not be the case. You should be able to reconnect immediately however and not be unable to reconnect. The tests we have done were done using BT equipment which we have access to and so our next step would be to pass this to BT.

As I got over a 2 day connection today, Plusnet think they can say that Ive got a OK line. I dont think so as I was under the impression that broadband was a always on system.

If anybody viewing these forums is planning to get broadband with plusnet - be aware of the numerous disconnects that loads of users are suffering from.
LiamM
Grafter

You need to be aware that disconnects are 99% of the time a BT issue or line issue, not a problem with Plusnet. Plusnet do not hold the connection if you like, it's BT that have to connect your line to Plusnet and if that drops - there is nothing Plusnet can do. The only way you can be disconnected is if an entire gateway is dropped and this causes no less than 10,000 customers to be disconnected.

Like I said back at the beginning of October, my line has only ever been dropped when BT perform maintainence at the exchange or elsewhere.

To put it bluntly, if you're experiencing disconnects at the moment, 9 times out of 10 switching your provider will not solve a thing.
N/A

My exchange is not having any maintanence that I know of. And as plusnet are the re-sellers, they are the people who are selling us the poor product, they should sort it out and provide a half decent service.

And if it "causes no less than 10,000 customers to be disconnected" there should be thousands of angry customers as I usually get about 2 disconnects a day. Also BT carry out most, if not all maintinence in the early hours of the morning, so why do i get disconnected between about 9am-11pm. Obviously its not maintinence. Its the poor service Plusnet provide.
LiamM
Grafter

It may not be maintainance but the quality of your line, or issues with your particular line card in the exchange.

What are your line stats? Have you raised the issue with Plusnet? There are a load of questions that BT require answered in order to proceed.
Community Veteran

When you dissconnect do you lose sync (i.e. the dsl light on the modem goes out)`
N/A

Nope still has sync.

I told you its the poor service plusnet provide.
LiamM
Grafter

A loss of sync indicates definate BT issue, but a non-loss of sync does not mean Plusnet issue. It can still be BT.

When my line has gone down in the past it stays sync'ed. This happens generally when it's a BT issue but further into the network than the exchange.

Have you answered all Plusnet's / BT's questions on the support wizard?
N/A

yep answered everything but just getting told go to BT and get them to check it as its your side. But as most people are im not willing to fork out for someone who comes out looking for a fault that probably wont appear as it is intermittant.
LiamM
Grafter

Hmm, you need to raise any faults with your line through Plusnet, even if to BT as going direct can result in your line being disabled and Plusnet won't be able to do anything about it.

The charge is made by BT and cannot be avoided if there is a fault on the line. It's unfortunate but there is nothing Plusnet or you or I can do anything about it.