cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dialup and ADSL issues.

N/A

Dialup and ADSL issues.

Hi.
I'm using a Tiscali BB account ATM, but have cancelled, intending to move to a BB a/c with PlusNet as soon as I receive the MAC key.
In the meantime I have opened a free Dialup a/c with PN, so I now have both an ADSL and 56k modem installed.
This is where I start to get lost. I can access PN forums etc, using my Tiscali BB connection, but how far can this BB access be carried, as far as a PN dialup a/c is concerned?
Frinstance, I would like to d/l all PN's n/groups. Can I do this, and is it permissable?
As you can guess, I'm fairly ignorant as far as connections are concerned. Maybe someone can explain what I can and can't do with my Tiscali BB connection, before it gets cutoff.
TIA.
Mike.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Dialup and ADSL issues.

Are you not ware that Tiscali don't support migrations and will not supply you with a MAC key. Primarily because they use Datastream connections not IPstream as PlusNet use and you can't migrate between the two. Even if you were on one of the few Tiscali IPstream connections, they still don't supply MAC keys. The only way to move to PlusNet is to cancel your current Tiscali BB connection, wait a few weeks for Tiscali to remove themselves from your line after BB has been disabled and pay the necessary activation fees (£50.75 annual contrcat, £70.50 monthly contract) to PlusNet.

You cannot access PlusNets usenet servers from a non-plusnet broadband connection. You could do it via your dialup account but clearly it would be very slow. You can access your PlusNet POP3 mailboxes but cannot send email via PlusNets SMTP server, you have to use Tiscalies SMTP server while you are still connected to them.
N/A

Dialup and ADSL issues.

Thanks for the reply Peter.
I thaught that might be the case, as far as usenet access was concerned.
No matter. I'm not that concerned about using dialup for n/g access.
The reason I asked is that I'm using 'news.individual.net' ATM, and as you probably know, they're no longer free after the end of this month, and Tiscalis own n/g coverage is unsatisfactory to say the least.

I was told by Tiscali when I telephoned, that under their terms, 30 days notice was req'd to cancel, which means my BB connection will be switched off on the 23rd April, and that it would take a further 5-15 days to send me the MAC key.

Your reply seems to indicate that what I was told about the MAC key is incorrect.
Are you sure you are right, or should I check back with Tiscali?

I knew when I started this process, that I might have problems with Tiscali, but didn't expect them to appear so soon. :-)
Mike.
Community Veteran

Dialup and ADSL issues.

Tiscali take 5 -> 15 days to remove their tag from your line before you can sign-up to another ISP, and some have waited a lot longer than that.

Tiscali do not suport migration and cannot issue you with a MAC code as it is only relevant to migrate from IP stream -> IP stream and Tiscali use Datastream.
N/A

Dialup and ADSL issues.

I specifically asked Tiscali CS about the MAC code, and that is the reply I was given.
Oh well. Not to worry. Looks like I'll just have to put up with a dialup a/c after the 23rd, until Tiscali decide to remove their tag.

Maybe I should ask them to explain why it takes 30 days plus to release a customer, when it takes only a few days to open a BB a/c from scratch.
Could the answer be all about money. Surely not. :-)
Anyway Peter, thanks for putting me straight.

Regards.
Mike.
Community Veteran

Dialup and ADSL issues.

Just like PlusNet and many other ISPs, Tiscali has a 30 day notice to cancel period. The 5 -> 15 (or more) days to remove the tag is in addition to that period and so it often takes more than 6 weeks to release customers.

There are numerous threads on ADSLguide about people trying to free themselves from Tiscali and not being able to sign-up to new ISPs because Tiscali has not removed thier tag. SO you may be in for a longer wait than you expected.