cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dial-up problem!

N/A

Dial-up problem!

Dear all,
I know the majority of you all out there have made the brave leap to broadband, but I am still on the connect-lite dialup plan.
Recently I bought a brand spanking new computer, but for some reason instead of being faster online, it is painfully "bang-your-head-against-a-concrete-wall" slow... Even worse than my old computer!
Can I have some advice please?
Thanks
Ally
5 REPLIES
N/A

Dial-up problem!

Is the new computer using the same modem as the old one used ?
N/A

Dial-up problem!

I've found most moden dialup modems to be painfully slow. They have a habit of connecting at appauling speeds.

Older real hardware modems are the only ones to use in my opinion, unfortunatly most of these are external and use an extra plug socket for power, but they do give better connection speeds and performance.
N/A

Dial-up problem!

Older real hardware modems are the only ones to use in my opinion

Thats what I was thinking, maybe her new PC came with a soft modem which are awful. I have used both in the past and hardware modems are definatley better.
N/A

Dial-up problem!

Hi guys,
Thanks for the reply Smiley
It is a brand new modem, and I also have a new security thing which I think are the culprits. May be making the move to Broadband sooner than I expected! I had a very quick reply from plusnet staff, and apparently that is a good speed to have for my connection... *not convinced*
*Starts to look around for best broadband deal* Anyone have any recommendations? (Sorry if going off topic here!)
Ally
N/A

Dial-up problem!

If your not too interested in p2p or usenet, then Broadband Plus is a good option at £14.99 and if you decide to upgrade to Premier in the future I believe it free to do that. I use Premier at £21.99 and it's fine, good speeds during the day but p2p and usenet are alot slower during peak time than daytime.