cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied access to community support forum.

N/A

Hopefully a quickie...

Should dial-up customers have access to the community support forum? For some reason (I can guess why) it now tells me that only users with special permission can post there.
19 REPLIES
N/A

Nope, PAYG Dial-up accounts and guests can only post in this part of the forum unfortunately.
N/A

Hi there,

I notice from your posting history that you seem to have migrated to another provider.

If that is correct, once your migration takes place, or at least once PlusNet become aware that you have migrated and automatic script runs which changes your accoutn status and alters your forum permissions.

If you have not migrated let me know and I'll get your perms checked for you.

If it is correct then you will have access to the Community Support board but will only be able to post here.

Hope that helps a bit.
N/A

You are correct. I have migrated to another supplier. It comes as no surpise that I am now unable to get access to the forum where I am most likely to get help for the current email problem. This is just another example of PlusNet putting barriers in the way of customers being able to contact them.

Why should dialup customers not have the same access to the community support forum as everyone else? If I have problems with email or another PlusNet service, I am still part of the user community and I should be treated as such.

... or maybe there is some other reason you don't want those who have migrated posting in the most read area?
N/A

To be fair I don't think there are any nefarious reasons behind this. There has been problems with people signing up for free accounts and causing trouble on the forums, this doesn't help anyone.
Now, they should be able to tell the difference between customers who've migrated and freshly created accounts, the latter of which will be the ones more likely to be used to cause trouble. But that would take a level of competence above that which PlusNet appear to have.

Mark, the current scripts are not working properly from what I've heard.
N/A

Mark, the current scripts are not working properly from what I've heard

Agreed. They seem to be a bit hit and miss at the minute but iirc there is a problem raised on this already.
N/A

Thanks Mark, it's a shame they can't/won't fine-tune the scripts while fixing them but that's a separate matter.
N/A

So, no answer to the question then... No surprise there.

Why am I not allowed access to the forum where I am most likely to get help?
N/A

As best an explanation as possible has been given. I'm sorry if you don't like it.

I am myself no longer a paying customer let alone a spokesperson for PlusNet, pcsni is a moderator and member of the PUG, but also just another customer when it comes down to it. So neither of us could make any sort of official comment on why PlusNet do this.

Is it a pain, yes. Plenty of us are in the same position.

Can you read the forums, yes.

Are there plenty of other places where the problems with the mail server are being discussed, yes.

If you'd like to discuss the mail server problems here, you're free to start a thread to do so. The problems are farcical, but that was not what this thread was started to address it seems. Also the Community Support area is by no means an official support channel and I can't see how the ability to post there would have helped with the e-mail issues.
N/A

I quite accept that neither of you are PlusNet support employees and I appreciate the answer that you gave.

Being able to contribute to existing discussion would be far preferable than starting another thread in a different forum. The point is that even though I choose to give my money to someone other than PlusNet, I still have a PlusNet account and I still have some email delivered there (as stupid as they may seem given the farce that it is). That makes me part of the "community" and as such I should be entitled to contribute to that forum.

If PlusNet don't want people who have left to be able to speak as they find then they should close the accounts completely. Otherwise, cut out all the mindless restrictions that are being placed on customers who want to get help.

There is no point in phoning unless you want to wait in a queue for half an hour and there is no point in raing a ticket unless you want to get told to change you filters and reboot your router.

So, yes... there *IS* a benefit to being able to post in that forum because it's the only place you can get a half-decent [censored] answer in this place.

p.s. Silencing critics is no way to stop criticism..
N/A

I agree that the current support mechanisms are bad, I agree that often posting in a forum is a better way of finding out what's going on, and as I have pointed out there are plenty of other forums where this issue and all the others are discussed with at least as sound posts (the PUG, ADSLGuide to name two). You are also able to read the forums here to see what the situation is, even being able to post is no guarantee of any answers, with the particular example of mail we are still awaiting answers.

Would I prefer it if I could still post in the Community Support section? Of course I would. It would even help them keep things centralised if they didn't fragment customers with restrictions. But I can't post, you can't post and this isn't going to change any time soon.

I'd prefer it if they don't close the accounts entirely. If you'd prefer they did, then I'm not quite sure what you're posting here for.

I don't think this is a case of silencing critics, if you do then feel free to discuss that, but please don't confuse it with the particular issue of there being a lack of a support mechanism for customers who retain e-mail accounts. I guess this is what my beef is. It's not as if you were an active member of the forum and contributed much, but now that you've left suddenly it's important to you, and you confuse the inability to be able to post with a fanciful idea that you don't have a support route for the e-mail problems.

You clearly have an axe to grind rather than an actual point to be addressed and IMHO it's this sort of post that is half the reason customers who have left do not retain posting rights. I've been an ardent critic of PlusNet's mistakes for some time, but your posts really don't seem to be particularly constructive IMHO.
N/A

If you would prefer to be able to post where you want then why don't you vocalise it! Of course nothing is going to change anytime soon if you just sit there and do nothing.

Show me where I said that I prefer they close accounts completely. I never said any such thing. Please go back and read what I actually said rather than what you THINK I said. The reason I am posting here is because I cannot post in the place that I want to post and I want to post there because there is a problem and I want to a) add to the weight of feedback that indicates the magnitude of the problem and b) perhaps get some help, especially since there is no other reliable route in the current setup. There is no point in my discussing the problem on ADSLGuide or other sites, when the most likely place the discussion will be read by anyone who can do something about it is here, in the community support forum.

Just because I have not been a particularly prolific poster in the past does not mean that I have not been actively reading threads and adding where I felt appropriate, nor does it mean that I should be denied the ability to post as and when I consider it necessary.

I do not an axe to grind, I have a legitimate complaint about the way PlusNet handle mail and, YES, there is NO support route for it because the concerns of many on this particular point are simply dismissed out of hand.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion but you're not going to get your feelings known by keeping quiet.
N/A

It's also pointless vocalising something which has already been discussed many times, including in the last few days, and the answer is always that there will be no change. It's not a matter of doing nothing about it it's a case of nothing being added to the argument here.

If PlusNet don't want people who have left to be able to speak as they find then they should close the accounts completely.

Seems pretty clear to me that you've said you either want total access or no access.

There is no point in my discussing the problem on ADSLGuide or other sites, when the most likely place the discussion will be read by anyone who can do something about it is here, in the community support forum.

Funny you should say that as the PUG is a key route to PlusNet staff and many complain that staff spend more time on ADSLGuide than they do here.

I do not an axe to grind, I have a legitimate complaint about the way PlusNet handle mail and, YES, there is NO support route for it because the concerns of many on this particular point are simply dismissed out of hand.

You see you're confusing the issue again. this is why I feel you have an axe to grind, you're jumping between points rather voraciously.
There is an official support route which you still have access to (tickets/questions) and unofficial (this forum) as well as other routes I have mentioned. This is a separate issue in my mind to the fact that you can no longer post, which I believe is why this thread was started.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion but you're not going to get your feelings known by keeping quiet.

I can assure you I do not keep quiet and not keep my feelings to myself. Many others would attest to this Wink

I'll leave you to it now as I feel this thread is unfortunately going nowhere fast and not achieving anything constructive.
N/A

if you want support then raise a ticket/question.

The forums are not essential to plusnet supporting your service.

Raise a ticket or ring them, thats how you get support.

there is NO support route for it
N/A

if you want support then raise a ticket/question.

The forums are not essential to plusnet supporting your service.

Raise a ticket or ring them, thats how you get support.

Whoosh!

That was the sound of the point flying right over your head and you missing it entirely.

A support route that is inaccessible and ineffective is no support route at all. As I have said before, there is no point in phoning unless you want to sit in a queue for 30 minutes and there is no point in raising a ticket unless you want a stock "change your filters and reboot your equipment" answer.

I stand by my statement. There is no [usable] support route and the community support forum is the only place where sensible answers can sometimes be obtained.