cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing my author name in this forum

N/A

I am already a registered user in this forum. I registered long ago under my real name. I notice that most of the users use nicknames. How can I change my handle? I tried Profile without success.
14 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,

Everyone on the forum uses their account username to post under, if you are unhappy using your account due to the username being your real name you can create a free account with the username you prefer and raise a contact us ticket to our support dept and we will allow you to post using the free account.

Hope this solves your problem.
Community Veteran

It is not possible as the name shown on the forum is the one you registered to join plusnet with.

What you could do is create a free paygo account them PM one of the forum Admins and ask for that account to have read/write access to all other forums - currently a paygo account only have write access to the guest forum as you have probably found out.
LiamM
Grafter

Is it possible to have the joined date and post count moved over also?
Community Veteran

nope, but this is a phpBB message board issue - it's never a good idea to mess about manually changing database records.
N/A

Apologies for bringing up this old thread,but am I right in thinking that there is a security issue here?

I've had a huge increase in spam and phishing emails lately,and I wonder if it might be linked to our user names being so publically displayed in this forum.

Coupled with [an unwanted] static IP, I really do have security concerns about identity theft and scam attempts in general.

I don't really understand why plusnet insist on displaying our user names in a public forum
Community Veteran

Unlikely.

To access and read the forums you need to signup and sign in. It would be too much hastle to go to all this trouble to get email addresses. Spammers want easy accesable addresses and will look on forums which they dont need to sign into first.
JonathanW
Grafter

With regards to these forums, they're not as easilly accessible as some others out on the web, as you need to have a PlusNet account before you can even view the forums.

Additionally, if the email addresses were being harvested from the boards then I'd expect more people to be complaining about spam, and I've not yet had a single piece to the account that I use for forum posting.
LiamM
Grafter

To access and read the forums you need to signup and sign in.

With regards to these forums, they're not as easilly accessible as some others out on the web, as you need to have a PlusNet account before you can even view the forums.

Erm.... guest guest.... ?
Community Veteran

I thought that using guest only allowed you into the free dialup forum
N/A

It only allows you to post to the free forum but you can view all the others.
prichardson
Grafter

Hi,

Whilst that allows you into the forums, you do need to signin.

As such, an automated system would need to be able to do this first.

The most common cause of phishing attachs is from spyware on your system and unreputable sites selling your email addresses.

Kind Regards,
JohnJ-B
Grafter

Apologies for bringing up this old thread,but am I right in thinking that there is a security issue here?

Basically, YES!!! But probably not for the reasons that you think!!

Because of the insistance of this Forum publishing my Username, I very rarely visit this Forum (I visited in January) - however, I note that I am alledged to have been logged in less than 6 days ago!!!

HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?Huh
Community Veteran

When did you last log into the portal? I don't know but it could be that the forums register a login to the portal as a login to the forums due to the integration.
Community Veteran

Daniel is correct.

Because the forums are integrated into the portal, logging into the portal effectively also logs you into the forums so it's the last portal login date/time that is shown when you visit the forum main page.