cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Plus

N/A

Broadband Plus

Hey all,

I am currently looking for a new ISP. Having looked at the broadband plus, mainly for its pricing.

I Notice that at peak times, the download rate drops. Probably everyone has asked this but is it by alot? Also do i get the option to upgrade to premium at no extra cost?

Is there a set contract?
Any other restrictions that others have come across?

Cheers
6 REPLIES
N/A

Broadband Plus

Can you also confirm that this is uncapped?
N/A

Broadband Plus

We're on Broadband Plis and for most things the speed is excellent. But especially for P2P and Binary Newsgroups the speed is severly cut at peak times. Of course PlusNet make this plain for BB+. We do use a few Binary Newsgroups and find that even downloading headers is very slow from 8am through midnight. We've not tried the early hours to see what it's like then. We only bring in no more than a couple of files now and then. Our usage is very little and so we can put up with the "dialup" type download speed as we'd have to pay £7 more a month for Premier to get top speed download of Binary groups. Other than that the Broadband Plus is really excellent in all respects.

If you start with BB+ and decide that Premier would suite you better then it would be a free upgrade.

We hope that you'll decide to join PlusNet. The best ISP we have ever used.
N/A

Broadband Plus

Sorry one last question

Is there any equipment supplied, if so what equipment, or is it a standard kit?
Community Veteran

Broadband Plus

PN are claiming free setup but this is only really true if you stay for more than 5 years as if you leave within that time you have to pay an amount back to PN this amount goes down each year there used to be a page on what hardware is included but i cannot find this now only a page on wireless hardware. I got a binatone ADSL 500 usb modem when i joined but i am not on plus and I think PN have discontinued that now. Maybe someone else on the forums knows more?

Hope This Helps A Little
N/A

Broadband Plus

Yes, the BB+ package is uncapped. It is only the traffic shaping that will effect any high download bandwidth. For all general use other than P2P and Binary Newsgroups etc., your speed will be top notch.
Alecto
Grafter

Broadband Plus

Sorry one last question

Is there any equipment supplied, if so what equipment, or is it a standard kit?

No equipment is supplied as part of the free signup. You can either supply your own, or let Pn supply and charge you for their standard modem or router.

Follow the links from the "Residential " button top left to see what their current offerings are.

If you don't know what equipment you want, ask on here and there will be plenty of recommendations. I'd go for a router rather than a modem as they're more secure, and easy to set up if you follow the instructions.