cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BB+ and surge protector

N/A

BB+ and surge protector

I've read that the ADSL microfilter needs to be the first thing plugged into the phone line (modem and telephone after it). If I want to use a surge protector, should that be plugged in first, then the microfilter into that?

Thanks
17 REPLIES
N/A

BB+ and surge protector

Hi there,

Just out of curiosity, are you having problems logging into the forums with your own username? I notice from your IP address that your a BB+ customer.

I would recommend logging into the forums and posting the same question in Broadband help.

More likely to get seen there and you'll probably get a quicker answer.
N/A

BB+ and surge protector

Hello

If anyone does have an answer to this I would be most grateful if they could say here.

Thank you very much.
N/A

BB+ and surge protector

I personally have mine with a short (20cm) extention from wall then microfilter into that, does not give me any problems but has for others, make sure you have a very high end model of surge protector otherwise you will find that all you do is drop your SNR to the floor I know several people who have gone for £20-25 ones which has done exactly that to ADSL.
N/A

BB+ and surge protector

I have a Belkin Multiblock surge protector, eight 13amp sockets and combined phone line protection.

I find that if connect the phone line through the surge protector it knocks about 3db off my SNR.

Use to use it on dial up, but never bothered since having broadband.
N/A

BB+ and surge protector

Thanks for your replies.

Is there any risk from not using a surge protector on the adsl line?

I was planning to use a 6-socket Belkin with telephone line protection. What will be the result of "knocking 3db off my SNR"? (I'm new to all this).

Thanks very much for your help.
N/A

BB+ and surge protector

Just as a test I have reconnected using the line surge protector this morning, and there is only a slight downgrade today between 1 and 2db.

With underground cables I don't think there is big risk of phone line surges, if you are connected overhead from poles, then there is always a rare risk of lightening strike, maybe the answer is to unplug the line if you think there is a risk at any time.

If your SNR margin is high, in the 20's then it would not have any affect on your connection, but if it was low, around >10db, then a loss of 2 or 3 db could give you an unstable connection.

Ideally you don't really want anything that may reduce your SNR margin.
N/A

BB+ and surge protector

In answer to your original post.

When using the surge protector, I have the BT line straight into the input connection of the protector and the adsl filter on the output side of the protector.

BT socket > surge protector > filter > modem/router.
N/A

BB+ and surge protector

Thanks very much for your replies, you're extremely helpful.

I am connected overhead via poles. Sorry to sound stupid, but where do I find out what my SNR is please?

Thanks.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

BB+ and surge protector

Have a look here
N/A

BB+ and surge protector

Sorry to sound stupid, but where do I find out what my SNR is please?

Assuming you have already got broadband (you cannot get line stats till you have).

Which make of modem or router are you using?

You should be able to get your line stats from it, however be aware that not all of them give line stats. You are looking for your downstream attenuation and noise margin (SNR)
N/A

BB+ and surge protector

Have a look here

Damn that was my next post :lol:
N/A

BB+ and surge protector

You are looking for your downstream attenuation and noise margin (SNR)

Thanks very much for your help. This is what it says:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection speed 1152 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 49 db 14 db
Noise Margin 13 db 27 db

So, err, clearly I don't just divide one by the other - what's my SNR then? One minus the other? (You can see I'm very new to all this) And more importantly is it enough?

Thanks a lot!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

BB+ and surge protector

SNR is noise margin.
db is a logarithmic scale so you get a ratio by subtracting

Just to throw in an additional comment. Your noise margin is far too low for your attenuation. Try plugging the router into the master socket with no phones, skybox, etc attached.
My feeling is that either you have a dodgy filter or something isn't filtered
N/A

BB+ and surge protector

Thanks for your reply.

Well I seem to have opened up a can of worms here... The telephone line comes in to the house (from the aforementioned pole!) to the master socket at the front corner upstairs, miles away from the computer. Nothing is actually plugged into that (pretty inaccessible) socket.

Two extensions leave the master socket:
- one extension goes to room with computer where it goes extension -> microfilter -> router in one socket and telephone in other, and from there to another extension socket which goes socket -> microfilter -> telephone.

- second extension goes out of house and in again downstairs to extension socket (not used) and from there to extension socket in kitchen which goes socket -> microfilter -> phone.

Phew hope you followed all that.

So all sockets with something in them have microfilters and the computer and router can't be in the same room with the master socket. Any ideas?

Thanks very much.