cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question for PlusNet

N/A

A question for PlusNet

Hi there. I am thinking of moving to PlusNet, but has not decided to use Premier or Plus service. I mainly use the internet for email, web surf and listen to online radio, watching online TV program. Is the Broadband Plus good enough for me?

Thank you!

Wei
14 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

A question for PlusNet

Yes it should be fine for that.

Why not try starting with Plus, and if you find that you're using applications best suited to premier, you can upgrade very quickly free of charge?
N/A

A question for PlusNet

Read the customer feedback forum here. Read the Plusnet forum at www.adslguide.org

Also at adslguide use the "compare" feature to look at several ISPs before making a choice.

If you choose to sign up with Plusnet, beware of deferred activation fees which could tie you in with Plusnet for up to 5 years. Do not take the annual account.

Basically read the forums *very* carefully before coming to Plusnet.
N/A

A question for PlusNet

Thanks Geoff and another guest for their replies to my question.

I have indeed noticed quite a lots of complaint about PlusNet. Are there any good ISPs that you can recommend?
Alecto
Grafter

A question for PlusNet

Plusnet have many satisfied customers.
As always, it is the unhappy ones who make the most noise.
If you're not proposing to download anything approaching 100GB a month, then you should be fine with Plusnet. If you intend to download this much, then you won't, and the number of ISPs who are suitable for very big downloaders is now quite small.
N/A

A question for PlusNet

Hi Geoff, I will occasionally download some movies, not more than 1G a month. Do you think I can do this with BB+ during peak time? If yes, is this under a restricted speed? Thanks!
Alecto
Grafter

A question for PlusNet

I wouldn't rely on downloading anything in peaktime on BB Plus.
With that sort of usage I'd look at the PAYG offering. Since you pay for what you use, it's cleaner than BB+ and won't cost a lot more for just a couple of Gb a month.

I've been on premier since I started on the grounds that I didn't know what I'd do with broadband till I'd got it. I'm normally connected from about 6 am to 4 pm, so mainly off peak, and though I can tell they're throttling downloads and P2P by the way the speed plummets from max to zero, then climbs again to max, it's not much of an inconvenience and I'm happy with it so far for £22 a month.

If I do happen to go on after 6 in the evening though, it's all noticeably slower, depending I suspect on how many others are on. I understand that PAYG is cleaner and less shaped than Premier, so it should be better of an evening.
N/A

A question for PlusNet

Many thanks for your advise, Geoff!
Alecto
Grafter

A question for PlusNet

That's OK.
I've no axe to grind for Plusnet or against them. For my own requirements, they suit me fine and I find them value for money. Some other people are not so happy, but how many of them have justification and how many are jumping on a complaining bandwagon I've no idea.
Good luck with whatever you do.
You might like to let us know what you finally chose to do and how you got on on www.plusnetters.co.uk where you don't have to be a plusnet member to join.
N/A

A question for PlusNet

The actual ADSL service is good but please note the downward trend Wink

compare here

Read the Plusnet Terms and Conditions, read every link you see on the signup process, read the forums, read adslguide. Watch out for the 30 day notice to cancel, it can be upto 59 days notice depending on when your billing date is. Buyer beware. Get it?

You may be a light user, but Customer Service is awful, 20+ minutes hanging on and then an amateur following a script, no replies to tickets for 48+ hours etc., nobody reading your comments in a ticket, just pasting a standard script into the reply.

These are my experiences, not just comments from the forums.

The ISP I am with now (nope it isn't F2S) answers the phone within a couple of minutes and I speak to a teccy! It's all sorted in five minutes, I am shocked at the difference! :shock:

So the actual ADSL service from Plusnet is reliable, but they are badly let down by customer service and their terms and conditions are a minefield of getout clauses that you WILL fall victim to at some point.
LiamM
Grafter

A question for PlusNet

I would beg to differ. As a mod, I find myself being responsible for half of my villages BB connections and when I have to contact support they're always very helpful and always get my problem solved effectively.

The only times they dont is when they're let down by BT which is something that would happen regardless of who you go with.

One thing slipped at PN and that was communications. They have recently appointed a new Comms Team Leader however and things are changing, for the better I believe, and that includes better product descriptions, a clearly outlined sustainable usage policy and changes to products etc... all as a direct result of customer feedback.
N/A

A question for PlusNet

Recently I have been outraged by plusnet Just to throw some contrast to the argument!

I`m a computer engineer and Joined plusnet hoping for moderate to average downloads and uploads Via newsgroups an account seperate to plusnet. At the present I advise several people about an internet service and well if all you do is look at web pages and emails in other words actually dont really use the net to a point where the upper limits will ever apply then you will be fine. However if your looking at the limits as a way of judgeing how much you can use your connection forget it you will never get there anyway Plusnet simply change there terms and conditions on a regular basis without notification.

I advised a customer to join Plusnet recently and the same newsgroup I use the new terms and conditions for him have made the connection also usless and from what he told me he got conflicting opinions when calling for assistance and a quite rude and repetative rep, not offering any actual assistance as to a way of correcting the problem. From what I have read there isnt any and wont be any for weeks to come. If you dont mind an Isp that move the goal posts without telling you PlusNet is for you ! lol
N/A

package

Hi

no matter what package you sign up for in 2mths time it could be a compleltly different package when they start changing things, which very very often .

The price reflexs the service, cheap price cheap service..

thanks
Community Veteran

A question for PlusNet

So, Guest, I take it you're not interested in PlusNet's services as a prospective customer?

Chris
N/A

A question for PlusNet

I have been on BB+ for about 7 months now, and I cannot fault the ADSL service, or the customer support relating to the ADSL service in any way! Cheesy

I have only had one or two 'minor' niggly problems regarding my connection, and they have always been settled within a couple of hours by ticket or a couple of minutes by phone...

I have experienced problems with certain 'extra's' such as domain name registrations, but they are nothing to do with my connection.

For a basic, general purpose BB connection, I would certainly reccommend +net BB+.