cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where/why has it all gone wrong?

multipack
Dabbler

where/why has it all gone wrong?

Since i joined the fftc trials back in November everything has been great, until this weekend.
From Saturday 5.15pm my connection has been a disaster, constant drop outs etc.
From the first day i have been getting a steady 37.5 down and 8.3 up, since i got my connection back today (around mid day)  my max down speed is 30mb which is acceptable but my upload is under 1mb, this is when i have a connection. A BT speed test tells me my max line speed is now  31027kbps and my upload should be 10000kbps. during that test i achieved a down speed of 25119 and an up speed of 677kbps, that was until the connection dropped out again, after a few hours the connection is back again, a speed test now shows download speed of 8.17mb/0.76mb. Why has the line profile dropped so much?
From i raised a fault by phone its still showing as waiting to be sent on to the support team? I tried tonight for 30 minutes to get through on the phone to support from 9.30 till 10 pm being on hold for 10 minutes each time with no answer.
Can i have some sort of time frame when/if this will be looked into, there's no point in telling me to reboot the modem and router as this will put the connection of for ages with no solid DSL light on the modem.
Still no reply from anyone in plusnet and the speed issues are getting worse, but hey at least i still have a connection....for another little while
Download speedachieved during the test was - 5933 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12000-31204 Kbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is -31204 Kbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 320 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10000 Kbps
16 REPLIES 16
multipack
Dabbler

Re: where/why has it all gone wrong?

After another 15 minutes on old tonight i finally managed to get through to tech support, not that it done me much good. He told me he wasnt trained in fibre and couldnt help and nobody in the fibre support team was there for me to talk to.
This has gotten beyond a joke, i know this is a trial as the guy kept telling me but you expect a trial to the usable, I hardly call what i have at the minute usable.
After 90 minutes my super fast broadband has decided to work again, but to even my surprise the speeds are worse than before.
Today 19:23 241 kbps (30.1kB/s) 766 kbps (95.8kB/s)
Today 19:18 217 kbps (27.1kB/s) 766 kbps (95.8kB/s)
All i want is somebody to sort this out, is that too much to expect? even a frigging response to my ticket would be nice.
charltjr
Grafter

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems but I'm afraid you are expecting a bit much from the trial, PN have obviously tried to set expecations in the "can I join" post and the FAQ/T&C - basically If it works that's great, if not then you just have to take the pain until the trial team can get to your ticket/post. I'm sure they'll sort you out, it may just take a bit of time.
You might want to go back to your old service if you rely on your connection to the extent that being without it for a few days is this much of a problem for you?
In any case I hope it gets sorted soon for you.
Cheers,
John
multipack
Dabbler

You might want to go back to your old service if you rely on your connection to the extent that being without it for a few days is this much of a problem for you?

i was told by the BT engineer that i wouldnt be able to go back to adsl as that wasnt on the line any more, how true this is i dont know.
I suppose im being totally unreasonable asking for a service to work that i pay for (i notice the payment went out today)
I'll wait for another week and then i'll get back in touch with them, i wouldnt want the 2 people in the fibre team to be put under any sort of pressure  Roll_eyes
knowdice
Rising Star

Quote from: multipack
Can i have some sort of time frame when/if this will be looked into, there's no point in telling me to reboot the modem and router as this will put the connection of for ages with no solid DSL light on the modem.

Are you saying that the DSL light is going out?
multipack
Dabbler

the light will stay solid when i reboot the modem untill the router is turned on (tested on 3 different routers) the light flickers communicating with the router and the connection is established. After 30-seconds to a minute the dsl light will just go off and the lights on the router and their web interface show no internet, after 10 seconds or so it comes back on then flickers off but there is no internet, this can go on for up to 90 minutes untill a connection is established again.
knowdice
Rising Star

Lights on my modem
Power  DSL LAN1
If I power cycle the modem.
Power comes on after a few seconds, then after about 10-15 seconds starts to flash then after another 10-15 DSL flashes (looks like is training) they both then stay on solid.
Lan light comes on when router is powered up and flashes slightly as data is transferred.
The DSL light never flashes after that.
If yours is then AFAIK it indicates a line or modem fault (somebody else on here has had a faulty modem)
How does this fit in with what you are seeing?
multipack
Dabbler

yup thats what i used to see,  some times it can take 5 go's of rebooting the modem before i get a connection.
I am connected now but download speed has dropped of again, upload speed is slower also 0.68mb.
Theres no point in rebooting stuff again as it puts me back to square one  Sad
knowdice
Rising Star

By get a connection you mean before the DSL light comes on?
If this is the case then BT need to be called in...
multipack
Dabbler

the DSL light comes on the problem comes when the router is switched on after 30 seconds, that will cause the DSL light to go off or start flickering.
I was told yesterday that somebody from plusnet would be in touch with me before 5 today, only about another hour to go.
knowdice
Rising Star

AFAIK anything related to the DSL light is to do with BT - so I hope Plusnet get back to you asap....
Kevin
Rising Star

My modem problem is as follows....
Stage 1) Powerup from off, power led flashes, then goes solid, DSL led flashes and then gets sync and goes solid. Switch on router and wait till that boots up, modem Lan1 led comes on.
All works lovely, about 30Mb dowload and 8Mb upload.
After 10-15 mins I lose browsing/email transfer/ whatever. Look at DSL led and it goes off.
5 secs later(or so) DSL led flashes as it trys to get sync back. Goes solid and I can start browsing again.
A minute or 2 later I lose browsing and DSL led goes off again.
5 secs later DSL led flashes....  Etc
After 2 or 3 of these dropouts the DSL led never goes solid or gets sync long enough to give me browsing.  At which point, if I turn the modem and router off and let them sit for 10-20 mins then repower them, I can get browsing back for a short period.
This, and the fact that strapping a fan to the bottom of the modem gave me up to 20 mins of browsing at stage 1, brought me to the conclusion that the modem is overheating. Sniffing in the vents of the modem also gives the smell of overhot components. (I'm and electronics repair engineer by trade, and you get a "nose" for hot things! Smiley )

BT man coming Tues morn with new modem hopefully....
Kevin.
charltjr
Grafter

Quote from: multipack

i was told by the BT engineer that i wouldnt be able to go back to adsl as that wasnt on the line any more, how true this is i dont know.
I suppose im being totally unreasonable asking for a service to work that i pay for (i notice the payment went out today)
I'll wait for another week and then i'll get back in touch with them, i wouldnt want the 2 people in the fibre team to be put under any sort of pressure  Roll_eyes

No, you're not being unreasonable in asking for the service to work, it was never my intention to suggest that. What I was trying to say is that clearly your broadband means a lot to you or you wouldn't be getting so upset about it not working properly, so maybe a trial which may by definition be unreliable and on which PN say it will take longer to resolve faults may not be the right choice for you.
You can go back if you find the service unacceptable but it may take a while (think it was 5 or 7 days, it's in the FAQ or T&C's)
Anyway as I said I hope PN get it sorted for you quickly.
Cheers,
John
multipack
Dabbler

thanks for the reply, im not upset about the lack of service what annoyed me was as yet i still havent even got an acknowledgement to say they are looking into the fault, my ticket from sunday shows its still awaiting an answer from the support team.
But thats by the bye now. I got talking to one of the fibre guys tonight on the phone and BT are sending out an engineer on Friday afternoon to investigate further, he did suspect a power supply fault but as the power light wasnt blinking or acting weird he ruled that out, but just out of curiosity i changed it for another 12v power supply i had and what do you know no flickering DSL light and i get a connection nearly straight away, i maybe jinxed myself by say that  Cheesy  Speeds are at a crawl but the guy said they would be as it automatically lowers the connection speed to obtain a steady connection. Im going to get the power supply checked out in work tomorrow to see if its giving out the right voltage.
I have to agree with the other poster the modem runs at a horrible temp and where the engineer installed mine is a bad place to start with, in a cupboard under the stairs, he insisted on moving the master socket to there as thats where i had my old router setup. I would have thought keep the modem beside the master socket in the hallway and run a cat5e cable to the router under the stairs would have made more sense?Huh

EDIT: After making this post last night the connection died and wouldn't reconnect again no matter what, so its definitely not the power supply. I am 100% convinced the modem is overheating, after the heatings been on for an hour or so thats when the connection dies, when the heating go's of around 10pm and the house cools a bit the connection comes back.
multipack
Dabbler

Happy days are here again Smiley
Engineer came out today and changed the modem, master socket and had a fiddle about in the cabinet and the good speeds are back again.
Hopefully it lasts i'll report back in a week if there are any changes.