cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when will they be able to get fibre ?

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Re: when will they be able to get fibre ?

Quote from: Townman
Hi,
Frankly you don't have much choice.  FTTC and FTTP have significant connection differences.  With FTTC the last leg of the connection is the same copper wire from the cabinet as you already have.  With FTTP the fibre has to be brought right up to the property, so installation is more involved..
By the looks of the availability report BTw is not offering FTTC at that address, so you gave the option of staying on ADSL or moving to FTTP.  Given the option, I'd go for it.
PlusNET can only offer what is available from BTw.
Hope that helps to clarify matters.

sorry just to be clear are u saying you would go for the trial then ?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Yes, I would, but that does not mean that it would be right for everyone.  I know my way around problems and how to get help.  If you were to get an issue and PlusNet could only field it through one of their key guys on this... the response might be a bit slow lane.  However given that (in my experience) many of the slow lane responses are down to BTOR, it would matter little which ISP you went with - other than the capacity to 'field' the problem in the first place.
Take a look through this forum and gauge for yourself what the responsiveness looks like.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

St3
Aspiring Champion

Well if BT offer it to this addy then im guessing the trial should work fine, my parents were in a 12 month contract for unlimted adsl for £9.99 a month they have served the 12 months and are now able to give 30 days notice if they were to leave, whats crack with this trial is there a contract or is it like a rolling 30 day contract ?
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Might be worth having a look over the FAQ however if you've got any questions that aren't answered there, feel free to let me know.
there will be no change to any contract length unless you specifically change to a new account with a new contract or take a recontracting offer independently of the trial.

I believe the FAQ still states 40/20 for speeds on the lower package (Flagged and due to be updated), however I've had clarification that the speeds would be the same as our current products (80/20 or 40/2)
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
St3
Aspiring Champion

i do have another question Smiley from the master socket runs an extension thats under the flooring to a room upstairs where the main computer is, this pc is not wireless and dont intend it too be is it possible for bt to fit the modem upstairs on the end of that extension i think its roughly about 20 feet away from where the master socket is. Theres no internal phone sockets upstairs see.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

With FTTP you get a ONT (the fibre optic equivalent of a modem). You then connect the WAN port on a router to the ONT using standard Ethernet cable (up to 100 meters long) so you could have the router by the PC but you would have to sort out the Ethernet cable yourself.
A big advantage of FTTP is that the speed you contract for is the speed you get. If FTTC was available and the house is some way from the cabinet the speed could be less than 40 and would be subject to all the wiring and interference you can get on ADSL.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
St3
Aspiring Champion

yer i knew about the network cable, im thinking now that maybe a wireless usb stick would do as they use the laptop more than the pc upstairs. Btw thats intresting info about FTTP that means the 40/20 package will be spot on.
Thanks to yours and some of the others feedback ive got a good idea now on what to do, im going to apply for FTTP and see what comes of it.  i wonder if one of these might do the trick http://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-WNDA3100-200PES-802-11n-Wi-Fi-Adapter/dp/B002RLC7WO/ref=sr_1_10?s=co...
St3
Aspiring Champion

Harry ive requested to join Smiley Ticket number #111075654 wish me luck  Wink
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

As per my previous post
Quote from: HarryB
I believe the FAQ still states 40/20 for speeds on the lower package (Flagged and due to be updated), however I've had clarification that the speeds would be the same as our current products (80/20 or 40/2)
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
St3
Aspiring Champion

40/2 or 40/20 either one if im picked for the trial will be fine Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It's now forty/two not twenty!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
St3
Aspiring Champion

40/2 will be fine for the oldies Smiley hopefully we can scrap this crappy connection
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Prior to FTTP my connection was just twice that of your parents.
Now get

on my 80/20 FTTP.
Just to re-enforce once the signal from the house gets to the exchange, it will join all the other Plusnet traffic so you can suffer like everyone else with gateways, capacity issues etc. I'm a victim of the capacity issues thread on the Fibre forum, too. But I should never get crosstalk or distance related slowdown that affect FTTC users.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
St3
Aspiring Champion

well we can only try these things its down to plusnet and bt to try and make thing better Wink i do have 80/20 at my own home altho after 4 months it dropped to 65/17 due to crosstalk but again thats down to plusnet/bt to fix somtimes you got to just accept these things.
St3
Aspiring Champion

btw what happens to the copper cable that runs underground from bt box to my door? is that replaced too ? im trying to figure out how this works as i have a cable running underground and theres a small gray bt box outside my front door which supplies our current phone/broadband