cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what modem/router are BT customers using?

bluewhale
Rising Star

what modem/router are BT customers using?

out of interest what modem/router are BT customers using?
are they also using a 2 box solution, ie modem and router as separate?
just being green would like to reduce the number of live kit i have on 24hrs.
3 REPLIES 3
tomm
Grafter

Re: what modem/router are BT customers using?

Yes, BT Retail also use a 2 box solution because BT Openreach - who have to provide the same service to all ISP's mandate the use of the BT Openreach VDSL modem.
I believe BT retail are shipping a modified home hub where one of the 4 ethernet ports is the WAN port - similar to the modified Thomson router +net have been shipping in that regard.
Will it be significantly less power to use 1 box rather than 2 boxes? I'm not an expert, won't the VDSL modem consume the same amount of power whether contained in a separate box with a separate plug as it will if in a combined unit? Or, at least, I wouldn't have thought it would be much more to have it separated.
I'm more likely to turn off my router overnight now because it isn't maintaining the sync with the exchange - I never turned off my adsl router/modem because I didn't want to upset the sync.
Tom.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I expect that inefficiencies with the transformers would mean that running two separate boxes would consume more power than one integrated box.
However, I'm not sure to what extent this would be the case and hence how much excess power would be used and CO2 released.
bluewhale
Rising Star

yes it is the transformers thats the problem...just feel how warm they get unless it's one of the more modern ones using solid state electronics...
it's worse than that though as we're also dragging power up and down the power network...
on it's own not a lot but if we're all doing it...just like those crappy set top boxes we've now all got
mind you compared to the ridiculous tv's a lot of people now feel they must have...