cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usage allowance

nibor
Grafter

usage allowance

Could the usage amount be looked at and increased for trialists , now I've got decent speeds I want to download HD movies etc from the playstation network and could easily see myself going over my 20G allowance.
71 REPLIES 71
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: usage allowance

I am stuck with speeds of up to 8MB with not even a scheduled date for 21CN and I'm paying the same price as people with up to 20CN speeds.
Now you are suggesting that just because you get even higher speeds you should get an increased allowance while still paying the same price!
Are you extracting the urine or what?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Could the usage amount be look and increased for me, now I've got a new ADSL2+ link of up to 17mb download speeds I want to watch HD iPlayer and download and maintain my own Ubuntu Repository, I could easily see myself going over my allowance.
Obviously I don't want to have to pay more.
nibor
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
I am stuck with speeds of up to 8MB with not even a scheduled date for 21CN and I'm paying the same price as people with up to 20CN speeds.
Now you are suggesting that just because you get even higher speeds you should get an increased allowance while still paying the same price!
Are you extracting the urine or what?

Jelv
I would suggest you have a word with billing, what I am simply saying is we are takng part in a trial - notice  heading of forum  - Fibre Trials, for which if you look at the forums etc we have accepted terms and conditions which include the possibilty of faults etc  taking longer to get fixed, for which a few people have experienced, to get the most out of the trial and use and test the service to its full extent I feel a bigger usage allowance is needed. whats the point in being able to download HD movies etc, if by doing so you get through ur allowance in a week. You would be surprised how much ur usage does go up, My package at the moment gives me 20gb, plus net pro, the standard BT infinity allowance is 40 gb. Dont forget ur uplaod speeds are included in ur allowance and when ur upload speed is 10mb/s that can soon add up also.
rtjones2
Dabbler

I agree.... as part of the trial I also think that the usage allowance should be increased.
I know that it is possible to schedule downloads for over night but that isn't allways convinient as I have pointed out on other threads.
It would appear that when the connection works well everthing is fine but as it is a trial there are members who have had significant issues which have taken a little while to resolve - meaning NO internet connection for the cost of someone "stuck with a solid reliable 8mb connection".
For the record I am happy with my connection to date but also a little worried about exceeding the 20gb limit and facing increased cost - i honestly believe that it will effect how I use my new superfast connection - ultimately skewing my contribution. How are PN going to be able to develop suitable packages for FTTC  download limits without the users having free reign for the period of the trial. As it stands there is a potential for the trialists to limit their usage to avoid additional costs
fourfourdevon
Grafter

So generally speaking the fiber trailists want more bandwidth.
But then so do I, and  suspect many do, I'm on Plus, and I'm finding the effective limit of 2GB per day very restrictive (I was previously unlimited with UK Online and had no idea of my usage, but suspect now it must have been in the range of 100GB to 300GB per month, and even though I only just joined Plusnet, I am seriously thinking of paying the cancellation charges and migrating to another ISP that doesn't limit so harshly or traffic shape so much).
Personally I'd like to see Plusnet introduce sensible pricing for over allowance useage, I know that bandwidth aint free, but as Plusnet have pointed out in their own blog posts the price of bandwidth has a huge fixed cost element, yet if I go over my limit the prices charged of me are huge, and not at all inline with either the true cost of the extra bandwidth or inline with the cost I already paid for my original allowance.
I agree those on faster pipes are likely to use more bandwidth, it just becomes so much easier to do, and I'm in the me too department when it comes to higher allowances, but I'd be pissed if fibre people got a free ride compared to me.
nibor
Grafter

Your missing the point, we are on a trial for which we have and are accepting connection problems - not on an actual paid for product, so in order to effectively test the product, the usage should be upped a bit more, this was not a post about upping usage for everyone as its in the FIBRE TRIAL for people ON THE FIBRE TRAIL , heck yes everyone would like more ! and obviously those not on fibre trail will have negative comments etc..its not fair etc....
Plus Net can then get a true refection on bandwidth usage, what its used for etc (I am restricting what I do so I don't risk going over my usage).. during the trial so there are not problems down the line when the product on PLUS Net goes live...as Im sure you would moan even more when you are connected and the product does not perform as promised.
Im sure when the product is out there will have set pricing to reflect usage allowances etc in line with BT's pricing.
And for plus net extra you get 60gb usage up to 20mb/s (the max speed you can get if not on the fibre product trial) which is a lot cheaper than what I am paying  at present for 20gb usage  being on the pro package.
Should we not be allowed to test the routers also for free as everyone else can not either who are not on the trial !
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Plusnet provide routers to all customers for the price of postage.  Not a good comparison.
nibor
Grafter

Quote from: fourfourdevon
Plusnet provide routers to all customers for the price of postage.  Not a good comparison.

Actually they are not free, if u leave before 12 months u have to  pay for it, also to get on the trial as plus net are having problems with the thompson routers I needed to purchase my own at considerable expense to myself - which I have accepted quite happily as there were limited ones available for testing.
Anyways this is besides the point , I did not intend this to be an argument between those on the trial and those not on the trail, if ur not happy about about ur already good speeds on adsl2 , which most people would kill for anyways, then moan to BT to upgrade ur cabinet quicker! And if you want more usage switch to the 60gb product, for the trial we need to be on the pro package with the 20gb limit (correct me if im wrong)

hulls
Grafter

I'm on the trial on the plus product (60Gb limit)  I won't come close to it.  I'm happy with the limit as is. I certainly haven't had too many issues, except with trialling the N router which kept seizing up (and you accept that as part of being on the trial).
John
nibor
Grafter

Yep 60 gb sounds more than enough, was my understanding that you need to be on the pro  to get the full download speeds, obviously not.
rtjones2
Dabbler

nibor is correct... if you are on any other package than pro then your maximum lines speed is restricted during peak hours (8am - midnight), which can potentially limit the maximum speeds from download servers such as microsoft update and the like to 2mb/s.
I can confirm this as I have had FTTC for 6 weeks (the first 4 was with the extra package and I was definately resticted during the day, I have now changed to pro to get full line speed for all applications to make the most of the increased speed).
This has been covered on another post and confirmed to be true by a member of PN support team.
If you are on the fibre trial and not on Pro then you are effectively wasting your time as you will only see the full line speed for all applications after midnight
rtjones2
Dabbler

download limt covered on following thread
"Download Speed Restrictions"...
reply from BOB PULLEN - plusnet support staff
  "Hi Karl, the same restrictions would be in place, even on fibre".
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: rtjones2
If you are on the fibre trial and not on Pro then you are effectively wasting your time as you will only see the full line speed for all applications after midnight

Why? I can't see why it's important whether it take 1 minute or 5 minutes to down load a file and you will not be aware of any stalling. Also it's not a controlled trial for traffic so it's pointless using the argument that you need full line speeds and no usage limits.
scootie
Grafter

maybe PN need to be thinking of what sort of product package they are likely to give the fully complete sold fttc.
put a range of different traffic type users currently on the trial on a test profile and tinker with the speed caps and usage limits to find what works and dose not work to keep most customers happy with the fibre product, obviously  it has to be a profitable product for PN, so it wouldn't be a huge usage increase
both fttc and adsl2+ run over wbc and the bandwidth costs BTw charge isp's is the same