cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trial so far

belongabob
Dabbler

Re: trial so far

Sorry, that's what I meant by the 'checker'. Yes, I did get my details from the BT Speedtester.
dick:quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

So what did it say your IP Profile was?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
belongabob
Dabbler

I stupidly didn't take note of that. Went back to do anther test this morning and the checker stalls at the 'testing upload' stage.
I'll try again later.
devil5882
Grafter

Done via ethernet connected to laptop.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

@devil5882,
have the other tests been via wi-fi then?
Even with 'top of the range' wi-fi the real achievable speeds are surprisingly low.  NEVER believe claims of 150, 300 or 450mb/s for wi-fi equipment (even with no interference from neighbours or other equipment and your laptop sat nearer the router then the length of your shortest ethernet cable, with no obsticles etc.)!
My 300mb/s (5ghz band) wifi was only getting 20-25mb/s at 3m distance though a change to a setting on the laptop adapter did manage to increase this to around 50mb/s but still always less than ethernet.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
devil5882
Grafter

The thing i dont understand is i usually get between 40 50 mb wireless on my pc so why can i only get 20mb now? is there a router with a better wireless signal?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

This could be something as simple as a neighbour changing channels, a neighbour with a new wi-fi router, interference from things like digital video senders (or anything else that uses the wi-fi frequency bands), even microwave ovens are reputed to affect wi-fi.
'Better' wi-fi routers are certainly available but can still be limited by interference so, sorry, it's not possible to give you an answer that would guarantee a solution (other than connecting by ethernet!).
Maybe someone else can make a (more helpful) suggestion  Smiley
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
devil5882
Grafter

my channel on my router settings are set to auto does this not use the best possible channel? if not is there a app anyone knows of to search for best channel as i once had some1 use a app but dont know what it was called.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

inSSIDer
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
devil5882
Grafter

thank you