cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slower speeds

krs181067
Grafter

slower speeds

I've been getting slower speed of late ~20-25meg as opposed to 34meg seen for a big chunck of the trial.
any reasons? or as anyone else seen a fall in speed.
Don't get me wrong, 20 meg is good but  i would like to understand why there's been a dip.
kel
5 REPLIES 5
jedi98
Grafter

Re: slower speeds

Obvious questions: -

• Which speed test?

• Wired or wireless?

• Has the openreach modem been power cycled

• What does the BT speed tester say is your sync? http://speedtester.bt.com

Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

It happens... speed variances are more noticeable on FTTC connections as contention (BT network) or noise can reduce it by quite a bit at times.
Danplusnet
Grafter

Check your Plusnet IP profile too. They were all originally set as 20meg (unlimited) but I inderstand they are being amended to 37meg. This may affect your performance if you haven't been amended.
If it is only at peak periods then, as Peter mentioned, you may be getting contention.
I get 37meg down, 8 meg up but at peak periods I get 4meg down and 8meg up. The BT threshold is 12meg but I'm on my 4th (or possibly 5th) fault ticket. It gets fixed and then faults again.
daveg6hni
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've only been on the trial a month now, but the first week was great with over 35Mbps average (BT & Speednet) BT profile 37Mbps,
But that has slowly been dropping each week.
I have been resetting the Modem regularly which helps a little for a while, but it is still slipping.
I am now only getting 26Mbps (BT Test) with a BT profile of 30926
It seems that each time my BT profile reduces, my download speed drops which then causes a further drop in my BT profile and so on Huh
When it was at 35Mbps I was not getting any errors or drop outs, so I don't see why it is continuing to drop Huh  Sad
That said 26Mbps is so much faster than the 4Mbps I was getting previously, so I'm still happy, but now that I've tasted 35Mbps, I want some more  Cheesy
Dave.
mikeyriot
Grafter

How often do you reset the modem? You may be inadvertantly lowering your profile by frequent reboots, as it could make BT think your connection is not stable.