Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intermittentSlow speeds since 4th December on MK FTTP

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: intermittentSlow speeds since 4th December on MK FTTP

When the card was rebooted in the exchange on Saturday 1st Feb, my connection didn't go down which meant that I had bad service (0.5Mbps constant) until the Tuesday lunchtime when Plusnet asked me to power cycle my router and ONT.
Seems to be no link to exchange work and connection uptime.
##Edit it should read "the card was replaced" above.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
AndyH
Grafter

If a line card was rebooted, you would not necessarily lose PPP sync with the exchange (which is why your router would show no downtime).
The fact that Openreach/BT Wholesale have had to consult their suppliers means there is clearly something complex or serious going on. A simple reboot would surely have been one of the first things they would have tried!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I would suggest Plusnet should be providing you all with a free backup service which is faster than the speeds you are getting: 56K dialup modem!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
herbiejhopkins
Dabbler

Quote from: dave
BTW changed out a card at the exchange on Saturday morning...

By "changed out" I assumed he meant that the piece of hardware had been replaced not just rebooted.
SpendLessTime
Hero

@herbie
Sorry I forgot it was a replacement not a reboot. But it made zero difference.
And my connection didn't go down so that card replacement did not effect connectivity. Puzzling.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Does that mean you connect via a different card and that they still haven't identified the real reason?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
hmarshy
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi George
Sorry to see you're still having problems with your FTTP.
Don't know if it's relevant or not but you appear to be on a different FTTP service compared to AndyH and me, we're on the 100/15 Mbps service, but your results show (potentially) 80/20 Mbps.
Just wondering if there is different technology involved for these services and whether that info is of any use to anyone!
Cheers
Howard
SpendLessTime
Hero

@Howard
Thanks for the info, but there are BT Retail users on 300Mbps who are seeing this same issue. I'm on a 80/20 scheme, last night it was 0/20!
The speed you pay for is not an issue. Neither is the supplier (at least 3 different retail suppliers involved, many different combinations of fttp product speeds).
It's the geography of the installations that is the problem.
But thank you for your support.
If it was only Plusnet or a product, I won't be here. I would have moved my supplier/product as nearly 10 weeks of this is extremely depressing.

@Jelv
I have noidea.
@everyone
Support ticket updated from Plusnet says " passed the latest information over to the high level escalations team within our suppliers yesterday. I will have a further update from them today."

George
SpendLessTime
Hero

I have had this message from Plusnet support.
"Before the work was complete the other day there were around 35 FTTP circuits having the same issue as yourself, since the work completed they are only aware or your circuit and 1 other that's potentially still having problems. The HLE team want to hold of taking further action at the moment as it would inconvenience yourself as all they can do is book a 5th engineer visit. The reason for this is because they are waiting to see if the other circuits affected have new faults raised on them. If they do then can again have this raised as a major service issue."

So if you have been suffering from this issue in the past week and have not raised a fault then please do so. Otherwise me and the other person who have complained will be ignored and the problem will not be solved.
SpendLessTime
Hero

And just for good measure, it looks like it is on a slow down.
"1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download Speed
50.97 Mbps

0 Mbps 87.77 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 50.97 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-87.77 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 87.77 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
19.89 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed"
herbiejhopkins
Dabbler

Quote from: georgelnx
I have had this message from Plusnet support.
"Before the work was complete the other day there were around 35 FTTP circuits having the same issue as yourself, since the work completed they are only aware or your circuit and 1 other that's potentially still having problems. The HLE team want to hold of taking further action at the moment as it would inconvenience yourself as all they can do is book a 5th engineer visit. The reason for this is because they are waiting to see if the other circuits affected have new faults raised on them. If they do then can again have this raised as a major service issue."

So if you have been suffering from this issue in the past week and have not raised a fault then please do so. Otherwise me and the other person who have complained will be ignored and the problem will not be solved.

I've updated my support ticket yesterday evening and again this evening (as once again, same problems). I've had no response from plusnet since to say my issue has been escalated though. Guess that means I'm not the other 1 they mention.
SpendLessTime
Hero

I have updated my ticket again this morning outlining the speed which was bad at 7am and also the number of people who have been affected by this issue and have reported back in the 12 hours up to 7am today.
So the number is 2 on Plusnet, 1 on IDnet, 2 on BT Retail. And that is just the people who have checked this forum and BT community forum thread since 7pm yesterday.
I make that 5 out of 35 so far equalling 14% of users.

And now my speed is now back to normally at 10am, so only had slow speed for 15 out of 24 hours or slow for 62% of the time.
AndyH
Grafter

I posted on the MKBAG forum and asked again if anyone else is affected.
This is the response JTG6 got from BT a couple of days ago:
Hello, BT here. Firstly my apologies for the length of time it is taking to resolve the fault on your broadband service. After extensive investigation, engineers have changed several pieces of exchange equipment , switches and cards. We are aware that this has resolved the problem for many of our customers, but if you are still experiencing problems please reply to this text and we will investigate further.

I would put money on more than 35 people being affected. There must be more than 1,000 homes in Walnut Tree.
SpendLessTime
Hero

On the scale of the issue:
I'm wondering if the issue is only affecting premises near to Highgate Over as when the last engineer called he said that he had been checking a house in a nearby street which had been suffering the same issue. We know it's MK7 but how much of it?
I wonder if BT have mapped out the premises to see the geographical layout of the issue?
All questions, but no answers.
AndyH
Grafter

Possibly related or unrelated - a BT Infinity user in Shenley Lodge is also still having speed problems on FTTP that he thought were fixed, but returned yesterday again. I think he's on the Shenley Church End exchange (SMSU) rather than Bradwell Abbey.
I would hope BTw/Openreach have mapped out the affected users to find common factors. Given the nature of the problem, I think the ISPs are reliant on the problem being reported to them (monitoring lines does not really show the degradation of the service?).