cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fibre upgrade trial

bettystoggs

fibre upgrade trial

I was thinking of leaving plusnet because our connection is bad most of the time but I was told about fibre into the premises trial. Call me please.
6 REPLIES 6
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: fibre upgrade trial

Is FTTP available for your address. Check http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Note that "FTTP on Demand" is not supported by PlusNet and anyway is a high cost product.

If you have a poor quality line then there's no guarantee that any other ISP could do better.

Brian

bettystoggs

Not sure what all the jargon on the link means !
We were told by customer services that you could bring fibre directly to the house, for between £5 or £10 per month extra.
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

I wouldn't believe a word of what customer services tells you, particularly with respect to FTTP (fibre to the premises). As it is a trial product hardly any of them know about it. If you provide the checker information you will get help deciphering the jargon! Without that there's nothing to go on.

bmc
Hero

Can you post a screen image of the DSL checker results. Make sure your phone number isn't shown.

Brian

bettystoggs

See attached

bmc
Hero

OK, the bit that matters is in the top left corner that says "WBC FTTP" - this means you can indeed get a pure fibre connection.

As has already been pointed out PlusNet is only running a "trial" of the product so few staff are trained up on it and their back office systems are not integrated so, in general (apart from a few specially trained), support staff know nowt about it.

The product is based and priced on their FTTC products so you can choose up to 38 or up to 78 download speeds.

Installation is different from phone services in that you need an Optical Network Terminator (ONT) in your house. This is free but you do need to be in for the OpenReach appointment. I've attached a picture of an ONT where you also see the incoming cable (they need to drill through the wall for this). You also get a smaller battery back-up unit.

You'll note that on the picture you posted (on the right hand side) it states the FTTP Install Process is 2 stage. I suspect this means you need two visits from OpenReach. The first will run the fibre optic cable to your house and terminate it in a box attached to your house. The second visit then installs the ONT.

To apply for the trial you need to fill in a Support Ticket question (also read the Terms & Conditions and FAQ's) and then keep an eye on the ticket raised.

https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?wizard_id=20

Hope this helps

Brian